Transfer Student

Continue your educational journey as a Blugold

Your choice to transfer schools is a big decision — but we’ve got you! AtUW-Eau Claire, we recognize that the process of transferring can be overwhelming. That is why we provide you a dedicated counselor from the start. Your counselor will help you navigate transfer credits, your new home and all of the support available to you.

Ready to apply?

If you are ready to apply, start your UW System application here.

Start the UW System application

Admission criteria and application process

Please expand the accordions below to view criteria we look at for admission to UWEC (the credits required, other academic factors and non-academic factors) and instructions on how to apply.

If you have completed a year of coursework (approximately 30 transferrable credits) you will be considered for admission based on a review of your college records. Most admitted students have a GPA of 2.0 or greater.

If you have fewer than 30 transferrable credits you may be considered for admission based on a review of high school and college records.
Some majors may require a GPA higher than 2.0 for admission into the university, and you must meet or exceed the GPA for your intended major. Current majors with higher GPA are:

  • Elementary Education - 2.5
  • Health Care Administration - 2.75
  • Kinesiology & Athletic Training - 2.75
  • Nursing - 3.0
  • Secondary Education - 2.5
  • Social Work - 2.5
  • Special Education - 2.5

Please note that many programs have a competitive admission process and admission to UWEC does not guarantee admission to a specific major.

Please submit the following:

  1. UW System application
  2. $50 application fee online at time of application submission, or log back into your application to pay the fee. You are exempt from this fee if the last school you attended was a UW College 2-year campus
  3. Official high school transcript — required for ALL transfer students
  4. Official ACT/SAT scores — required for students who have fewer than 18 transferable credits. You are exempt from this requirement if you are 22 or older
  5. Official transcripts from each college or university you have attended

Note: If you’re a military member, submit Joint Service Transcript or Transcript for Community College of the Air Force.

This information should be sent to:

UW-Eau Claire Admissions
Schofield 111
105 Garfield Ave.
Eau Claire, WI 54701

If you are a transfer student applying for the RN to BSN completion program, you need to submit a separate application for that program here. Next steps and more information are available at the link also. 

Transfer of credits

An evaluation or official list of transferred credits will be prepared for you by the Admissions Office once you have been accepted. The credits you earned at an institution accredited by a regional or national accrediting organization recognized by the Council for Higher Education (CHEA) may be considered for transfer. A maximum of 72 credits will be accepted from two-year colleges, University of Wisconsin Colleges, Wisconsin Technical Colleges or other accredited junior colleges.

Continuing education courses, graduate-level courses, remedial courses or courses that are doctrinal in nature are not transferable. In some cases technical courses may be considered for transfer depending if the quality and content of the coursework is judged to be comparable to coursework at UW-Eau Claire.

Not a transfer student?

Select your student type to find information that's right for you.

Select your student type:
We want to hear from you

Please enter your name

Please enter a valid email address

Please enter a valid phone number

Please enter a message