The following application process applies for students who plan to attend UW-Eau Claire on an F-1 student visa.
If you currently attend a university that has an exchange partnership with UW-Eau Claire and you plan on studying abroad here for 1-2 semesters on a J-1 visa, you can find application instructions here.
June 1 for fall semester
November 1 for spring semester.
We accept applications August 1 - June 1 for admission the upcoming fall term (September), and February 1 - November 1 for admission the upcoming spring term (February). We must receive all of your required application materials prior to the deadline. Start applying early!
To complete an application for admission, submit the following:
Click the arrow to expand each item and learn more.
1. Online application
Submit one of the two available applications:
Which application should I submit?
- Submit only one application.
- Degree-seeking applicants (first-year and transfer) may apply with either application, even if you will need to start in our Intensive English Program (IEP).
- If you would like to enroll in the Intensive English Program ONLY, and do not wish to pursue a degree, you must apply with the UW-System application. Apply as an undergraduate non-degree student and choose English as a Second Language (ESL) as your program.
- J-1 exchange student applicants should follows instructions available here and must apply using the UW-System application. Apply as an undergraduate non-degree seeking student and choose International Student - Exchange or Sponsored.
2. $25 USD application fee
Pay this fee online with a credit card when submitting your application. You may also log back into your application account later to pay the fee if you initially submitted without paying.
3. Evidence of English proficiency
For undergraduate admission, submit one of the following:
- Minimum TOEFL iBT total score of 75
- Minimum IELTS overall score of 6.0
- Minimum Duolingo English Test overall score of 115
- See other methods of demonstrating English proficiency.
Applicants who will need to improve their English skills before beginning an undergraduate degree program may be considered for conditional admission. Conditionally admitted students begin their time at UW-Eau Claire in our Intensive English Program (IEP).
For the Intensive English Program (IEP) or conditional undergraduate admission, submit one of the following:
- Minimum TOEFL iBT total score of 48
- Minimum IELTS overall score of 4.0
- Minimum Duolingo English Test overall score of 75
- If you are an IEP applicant and do not have a standardized test score to submit, contact us at email@example.com.
4. Financial documentation
The financial documentation required from students who are or will be on an F-1 visa includes two parts. Funding shown must be equal to or greater than the estimated expenses for one year (two semesters) of your program.
- Complete our Financial Verification form documenting your source(s) of funding. The document must be signed and dated by you and any sponsors.
- Submit supporting documentation for the funding documented on the above form. This may include:
- Letters or statements from your or your sponsor’s bank attesting the availability of the funds in a savings or deposit account. This document must be certified (signed and stamped) by a bank employee and must be dated less than six months ago.
- Scholarship award letters.
5. Academic records
- Submit original or official academic records for all secondary education (high school), including diploma, graduation certificate or results issued by an examining board, where applicable.
- Submit official transcripts for all post-secondary (college or university-level) education, even if you did not complete the program.
- Include all original-language documents, as well as professional-quality, literal English translations, where applicable.
6. Passport copy
A scan or copy of the photo page of your passport, as well as a copy of your current visa if you are already in the United States.
Submit the supporting documents listed above by including them with your UW-Eau Claire specific application, or by activating your student account and using our document uploader. You may also submit application materials to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to the address below. If official transcripts are required for your application, those may also be sent to the address below.
UW-Eau Claire Office of Admissions
105 Garfield Avenue
Eau Claire, WI 54701
International student resources
Not an international student?
Select your student type below to see your application process.