Skip to main content

Understand your costs

The annual cost to attend UW-Eau Claire includes tuition, fees, housing and dining. We offer reciprocity for Minnesota students, and if you are a child or grandchild of a UWEC alumnus who lives outside of Wisconsin or Minnesota we have the Return to Wisconsin program — a 25 percent discount on nonresident tuition.

  • Net Price Calculator This tool is designed to help you estimate your eligibility for various forms of financial aid to offset the cost of tuition.
  • Pay Deposits Enrollment and housing deposits can be made through Blugold Central
  • NEW! Midwest Tuition Rate

    The Midwest Tuition Program is available to residents of Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio and South Dakota. This tuition rate applies to all bachelor’s programs, effective fall 2024 for incoming studentsSee estimated tuition rates here.

    2024-25 Estimated Undergraduate Tuition/Fees (2 semesters)

      WI Resident MN Reciprocity Return to WI  Nonresident Midwest Tuition Rate
    Tuition/fees* $9,783 $10,534 $14,989 $19,369 $13,748
    Room** $5,248 $5,248 $5,248 $5,248 $5,248
    Meals*** $3,730 $3,730 $3,730 $3,730 $3,730
    TOTAL $18,761 $19,512 $23,967 $28,347 $22,726

    * Textbook rental fees included.
    ** Based on standard double room. Find detailed information on all room rates.
    *** Based on most popular meal plan (Gold Flex Meal Plan). Find detailed information on meal plans.

    For more information on Financial Aid Cost of Attendance, click here.

    Which tuition rate applies to me?

    Wisconsin Residency

    In determining resident status for tuition purposes, different standards are used than those which may be used for voting, paying taxes, etc.

    How is residency for tuition purposes established or determined?

    Wisconsin Statutes, Section 36.27(2), govern resident status for tuition purposes. If you do not qualify as a Wisconsin resident, you must pay full nonresident tuition. In determining resident status for tuition purposes, different standards are used than those which may be used for voting, paying taxes, etc. Individuals who come to Wisconsin primarily for educational purposes do not automatically qualify as Wisconsin residents for tuition purposes even after living in Wisconsin a year or more. In general, you must be a bona fide resident of Wisconsin for at least 12 months prior to enrollment to be eligible for in-state tuition, but there are some exceptions:  

    1. If you graduated from a Wisconsin high school and your parents have lived continuously in Wisconsin during the 12 months prior to your enrollment, you may qualify as a Wisconsin resident.   
    2. If one of your parents lives in Wisconsin and you are a tax dependent of one of your parents, you may be able to pay fees and tuition at the resident rate.   
    3. If you are a refugee who came to Wisconsin immediately upon entering the United States, you may be able to pay fees and tuition at the resident rate. You may also qualify to pay at the resident rate if you are a member of the Armed Forces stationed in Wisconsin, a migrant worker who has worked in Wisconsin annually or the spouse or child of a person in one of these categories. Contact the Admissions Office at (715) 836-5415 or for further explanation.   
    4. If you, your spouse, or someone who claims you as a federal tax dependent moved to Wisconsin within the last 12 months to begin full-time employment in Wisconsin, or plans to do so before the beginning of the term for which you are applying, you may be eligible to pay resident fees. The full-time employment must be accepted before an application for admission is filed.

    How can I prove Wisconsin residency?

    In determining your bona fide residence at the beginning of a semester and for the preceding 12 months, your intent to establish and maintain a permanent home in Wisconsin is determinative.

    You may demonstrate or disprove intent through factors such as the timely filing of Wisconsin income tax returns of a type that only full-year Wisconsin residents may file, representations you make, voter registration in Wisconsin, motor vehicle registration in Wisconsin, possession of a Wisconsin driver's license, place of employment, self-support, involvement in community activities in Wisconsin, and your physical presence in Wisconsin for at least the 12 months immediately prior to beginning university classes.

    If I believe my classification as a nonresident is incorrect, what can I do?

    You may contact the UW-Eau Claire Admissions Office at or (715) 836-5415, for interpretation and further information about residency appeals.

    If I enroll at UW-Eau Claire as a nonresident, can I be considered a resident after one year in school?

    Generally, no. If you entered Wisconsin from out-of-state and remain in the state principally to obtain an education, it is presumed that you continue to reside outside the state and you will continue to be classified as a nonresident. If you believe you qualify for Wisconsin residency, you can complete an appeal form available through the Admissions Office to request that your residency classification be changed to "resident." Basically, you must prove with clear and convincing evidence that you have made Wisconsin your permanent home, that Wisconsin has been your permanent home for at least the 12-month period prior to your enrollment, and that you are not in Wisconsin primarily for educational purposes.

    How can I learn more about the laws governing Wisconsin residency?

    The UW-Eau Claire Admissions Office can provide you with detailed information about residency. View a complete overview about resident status for the Universities of Wisconsin campuses.

    Minnesota Reciprocity

    The current reciprocity agreement between Minnesota and Wisconsin enables a Minnesota resident to attend Wisconsin public institutions of higher education for approximately the same price they would pay at a Minnesota State University System institution. Those wishing to take advantage of this reciprocity must apply well in advance of their initial enrollment at a Wisconsin System institution. Approval covers the full year (including summer sessions) and is automatically renewed each year for the campus initially approved. You may apply online with the Online Tuition Reciprocity Application or, if you have additional questions about reciprocity, contact the Minnesota Office of Higher Education at (800) 657-3866.

    Midwest Tuition Program

    NEW! Midwest Tuition Rate

    The Midwest Tuition Program is available to residents of Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio and South Dakota. This tuition rate applies to degree seeking programs, effective fall 2024 for incoming students


    Return to Wisconsin

    Return to Wisconsin is an initiative giving children and grandchildren of UW-Eau Claire alumni who live outside of Wisconsin and Minnesota a 25 percent discount on nonresident tuition. 

    The facts

    • Nonresident tuition rates for children and grandchildren of qualifying alumni will be discounted 25 percent.
    • Qualifying alumni are individual biological or legal parents, biological grandparents or legal guardians, living or dead, who have previously earned either an undergraduate or graduate degree (associate, bachelor's, master's or doctoral) from UW-Eau Claire.
    • Eligible students must meet all admissions requirements that apply to all other applicants to UW-Eau Claire.
    • Return to Wisconsin students will pay all other fees (special course charges, room, board, and other expenses) at the same rates as other students.
    • Return to Wisconsin students will be accommodated above UW-Eau Claire’s target enrollment number and will not displace Wisconsin residents.
    • An eligible student or the student’s qualifying parent, grandparent or legal guardian must be a legal resident of a state other than Wisconsin or Minnesota.
    • The program does not apply to graduate tuition and fees.
    • Students must fill out the eligibility form (PDF) and return the form to the Registrar’s office in order to evaluate eligibility.  Contact the admissions office at 715-836-2311 or for more information.

    Tuition discount illustration

    For the 2021-22 academic year, nonresident tuition and fees at UW-Eau Claire are estimated at $17,150.00. With the 25 percent tuition discount, a Return to Wisconsin student would pay $13,500.00 in tuition and fees. A Wisconsin resident pays 2021-22 tuition and fees of $8,875.00.

    For more information or to obtain an eligibility form (PDF), contact Joey Bohl, Assistant Director of Admissions, at or (715) 836-2311.

    Blugold Alumni Tuition Discount

    If you completed your bachelor's degree at UW-Eau Claire in four years or less and graduated in May 2016 or later, you may be eligible to take undergraduate courses at a discounted rate.

    If you graduated in May 2016 or later, and completed your bachelor’s degree from UW-Eau Claire in four years or less, you may be eligible for the Blugold Alumni Tuition Discount. This discount lets you take undergraduate courses at a 25 percent discount on the resident tuition rate — regardless of where you live!

    Eligible alumni may take an unlimited number of undergraduate courses for a 5-year period after graduation. Enrollment will depend on course availability following the priority registration period for our degree-seeking undergraduate students. Eligible alumni who return to earn a second baccalaureate degree will be assigned a registration time according to the standard practice for degree-seeking students.

    The 25 percent discount applies to the current resident undergraduate tuition rate only:  It does not apply to any additional student fees, course fees, differential tuition and course materials. The discount does not apply to independent study courses, internships, practica, or student teaching. Students who transferred to UW-Eau Claire from another institution are not eligible. All other UW-Eau Claire regulations and deadlines for enrolled students will apply.

    Application for the tuition discount is simple:

    As soon as we have received both your eligibility form and re-entry application, you will receive an email from Blugold Central confirming eligibility and providing information on the next steps. If you are pursuing a second undergraduate degree and have questions about financial aid eligibility, please email Blugold Central.  If you want to take courses without pursuing a second degree, please refer to the information about being special student. Special students do not qualify for financial aid.

    We hope this discount gives you an opportunity to continue your education and enhance your professional skills. If you have any questions or need help, please email Blugold Central.

    Midwest Student Exchange Program (MSEP)

    The Midwest Student Exchange Program (MSEP) provides legal residents of Illinois (through spring 2022 only), Indiana, Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, or Ohio (effective Fall 2019) a special reduced tuition rate. This program is in effect only for the Fall 2021 cohort and earlier.

    2024-2025 Estimated tuition and fees MSEP
    Tuition/fees * $13,748
    Room ** $5,248
    Meals *** $3,730
    TOTAL $22,726

    * Textbook rental fees included. 
    ** Based on standard double room. Find detailed information on all room rates.
    *** Based on most popular meal plan (Platinum Meal Plan). Find detailed information on meal plans.

    DNP Students 20170307_Nursing_0089

    Graduate Tuition and Fees

    Learn more about the tuition and fees that apply to your graduate program.

    View graduate tuition and fees
    Students make their way through Garfield avenue on lower campus.

    Tuition and Fee Schedules

    Learn when you can expect payment to be taken from your account.

    View detailed tuition and fee schedules
    We want to hear from you

    Please enter your name

    Please enter a valid email address

    Please enter a valid phone number

    Please enter a message