Skip to main content

Transfer credits

Wondering how to transfer credits? Below you'll find all the information you need to get the job done.

Transfer Credit Equivalencies

These wizards can be used by prospective and current students to explore how courses should transfer.

UWEC Transfer Credit Wizard
Use the UWEC Transfer Credit Wizard to determine how courses will transfer to UW-Eau Claire from other UW Institutions and selected non-UW schools.

Transfer Credit Reverse Lookup 
Use the Transfer Credit Reverse Lookup if you know the course you need to take at UW-Eau Claire. This lookup can help you find courses to take at another campus (for example, during summer school or if you are a prospective student) that match courses you need here.

Prior Approval Procedures 

Frequently, changes and updates are made to the transfer equivalency files. To ensure that the course will transfer to UW-Eau Claire as you intend it to, you should document the current equivalency information. To do this, do one of the following:

Use the UWEC Transfer Credit Wizard or Reverse Lookup

Once you find the equivalency you're looking for, simply print a copy of the page showing the equivalency, make sure there is a date printed on the page, and retain it for your records as documentation of the credit you will receive upon completing a transfer course. Once you've completed the course, remember to have a transcript sent to the UWEC Admissions office from the school where you take the course.

Use the Prior Approval Form

Alternatively, if you did not find the school or course you were looking for in the UWEC Transfer Credit Wizard, you may complete a Prior Approval Form (eForm). Retain a copy for your records.

Important Transfer Information

  • 23 of the last 30 credits prior to graduation from any curriculum must be earned in residence at UWEC, unless specific arrangements have been made by petition to the dean of your school or college. UW-Eau Claire Study Abroad courses are considered resident credits.
  • You must request that your transcript be sent to the UWEC Admissions office upon completion of the course(s). 

Transfer of Credits

UW-System Transfer Policy

UW-Eau Claire Transfer Policy

  • Although UWEC routinely applies a course toward liberal education requirements in the same category as similar UWEC courses, if the course fulfills a different category at the sending institution, and if the student requests the original designation, the request will be approved if at all possible. (The student should contact the Registrar with proof of the sending institution's categorization at the time the student was enrolled.)
  • Upon student request, UWEC will permit courses completed by UW System transfer students to transfer in accordance with the course equivalency in effect when the course was taken, vs. the current equivalency. (The student should obtain a petition from the Registrar's Office and should supply proof of the original equivalency.)
  • UWEC course repeat rules will be applied to any external credit submitted to UWEC for evaluation.
  • Students seeking a second baccalaureate degree or additional certification are not given an evaluation of credits; they report to the associate dean of the college for specific advising.
  • If a course taken at a UW System institution has an upper division transfer equivalency, and if UW-Eau Claire freshmen and/or sophomores are allowed to enroll for that equivalent class, UWEC will award upper division credit, even if the course was lower division at the original institution.
  • We will accept ethnic studies (cultural diversity) courses satisfactorily completed at another UW institution toward satisfaction of the UWEC cultural diversity requirement. (Not all transcripts identify these courses, so the student may need to inform degree review personnel in the Registrar's Office. The student should be prepared to supply proof that the course was considered ethnic studies.)
  • UWEC will consider students who hold the Associate Degree from another UW institution to have satisfied our university-wide general education requirements, but since the degree may not have yet been awarded at the time of admission, the student may need to call our attention to the Associate Degree. (The student should contact degree review personnel in the Registrar's Office.)
  • Students shall have the opportunity to appeal any course transfer determination. The appeal should originate with the chair of the department where the course resides, would be carried on to the Associate Dean of that School and/or Dean of that College, and if necessary to the Provost and Vice Chancellor. 
We want to hear from you

Please enter your name

Please enter a valid email address

Please enter a valid phone number

Please enter a message