The UW-Eau Claire College of Nursing and Health Sciences offers the Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) program at two locations: the main campus in Eau Claire and the Marshfield Site in Marshfield, Wisconsin. The Marshfield Site program is made possible through partnership with the Marshfield Clinic Health System (MCHS). This option provides students in the central Wisconsin area an opportunity to learn where they live while earning the highly respected BSN degree from UW-Eau Claire.
Courses are team taught by UW-Eau Claire faculty located both in Marshfield (via face-to-face instruction) and in Eau Claire (via distance education) so students at both sites are taught the exact same curriculum. As a result, Marshfield students attend the same class in Marshfield at the same time as their peers in Eau Claire. In addition to theory courses, clinicals are built into each semester for well-rounded learning. For students at the Marshfield Site, clinicals are held primarily at the MCHS-Marshfield Medical Center but also in the local community.
Upon completion of the nursing program, Marshfield students join their main campus classmates for the commencement ceremony in Eau Claire to take the final step—receive their BSN degree!
Small campus, big benefits
- The Clinical Learning Center (CLC) provides experiential learning via the Skills Lab and the Simulation Lab. Both of these large spaces offer nursing students opportunities to learn, practice, and build their skills with the support of the CLC Coordinator and their Marshfield instructors. We also offer the ability to connect to the main campus CLC in Eau Claire!
- The Skills Lab has eight fully functional hospital beds with eight advanced skill mannequins.
- The Simulation Lab has a Laerdal SimMan 3G Hi-Fidelity Simulator, a Gaumard Victoria High-Fidelity Birthing Simulator, a Gaumard Super Tory High-Fidelity Newborn Baby Simulator, aGaumard Pediatric Hal Hi-Fidelity Newborn Simulator and specialized aids/props to add to the realization of the simulation environment.
- The Student Success Center (SSC) provides a hub for students to gather. The physical space has textbooks, group work stations, study space, computers, printer, etc. The SSC also offers support to students via peer mentoring, study sessions and special events. The Marshfield SSC coordinator is here to support all students’ learning.
- The Marshfield Site is conveniently located on the UW-Stevens Point at Marshfield campus so students can access the full campus services like the cafeteria, library, fitness center and study rooms for a robust campus and academic experience.
- There are many opportunities for students to get involved and support the local community by joining one of the Marshfield Site student organizations.
- Students may also choose to participate in cultural immersion experiences in health care facilities in locations such as South Dakota, Mexico, and England.
- The Marshfield Site offers smaller class cohorts compared to the main campus, allowing you to build better relationships with your peers and faculty.
Nursing bachelor's degree program curriculum
Students begin with the pre-nursing curriculum, a minimum of 30 credits. Required courses include: general chemistry, biochemistry, human anatomy and physiology, microbiology, human development, statistics and critical reading/writing. These courses can be taken at the main UW-Eau Claire campus, as well as UW-Steven's Point at Marshfield. Please contact us for advising assistance and check out the sample program plans below.
The application process has several steps. Connect with Dr. Rachel Merkel (Director of the Marshfield Site) to request the program application and for assistance as you move through the process!
- Apply to the University of WI – Eau Claire as a pre-nursing student. You can click here to apply to the University. If you are already a UWEC student, you can skip to step 2.
- Complete the prerequisite coursework (pre-nursing curriculum) and testing (CPR and CNA).
- Submit program application (BSN-Marshfield) to the Nursing Department.
- Students are encouraged to apply during the semester in which 30 credits will be completed.
- Deadline dates for filing applications are December 1 and May 1.
- Please complete all sections of the written application form for submission by the appropriate deadline date. The application form and supporting documentation should be submitted via U.S. Mail or by hand delivering to the department (details on application form).
In order to be considered for admission to the nursing program, applicants must have:
- Been accepted as a pre-nursing student at the university and is currently in good standing
- Completed at least 30-semester credits, not including courses for the nursing assistant certification, with a total cumulative grade point average of at least 3.00
- Completed at least three required natural science courses, two of which are laboratory science courses, with a grade point average of at least 2.50
- Earned a grade of "C" or better in all courses required for nursing
- Completed all application materials
Note: Remedial coursework (e.g., Math 20) does not count towards the 30 required credits for admission. Chem 105 & Chem 106 together meet the nursing general chemistry requirement and constitute one course for the purpose of the nursing admission criteria. Other data used by the Admissions Committee are derived from a variety of sources that include admission applications to the University and the nursing program, high school transcript showing rank in class, previous college records, and standardized tests such as ACT or SAT. International, non-native speakers of English applying to an undergraduate nursing program must have a TOEFL score as follows: TOEFL Written >560; or TOEFL (CBT) >220; or TOEFL (iBT) >83.
If you have questions about the program, would like to schedule a tour or would like to apply to start earning your BSN in Marshfield, please contact Dr. Rachel Merkel or our main program office.
Dr. Rachel Merkel, DNP, RN, CNE
Director of the Marshfield Site
UW-Eau Claire Nursing Program Office in Marshfield
715-830-7735 | Main Office, Room 325
UW-Stevens Point at Marshfield Campus
2000 W. 5th St., Marshfield, WI 54449