print header



Gold for Blugolds is where you can find scholarship information for continuing international students including scholarships from academic departments and leadership opportunities.

Follow this link to learn how to search for scholarships.

Extra Time Allowance on Exams

The following students are eligible for and will generally be granted extended test time:

  • International students who have completed the 300-level of our ESL program
  • Exchange students (non-degree)
  • Students whose TOEFL (or approved equivalent) score is between 541-600 (paper) or 75-100 (internet-based test)

This applies for their first two semesters at UWEC which, in most cases, is a sufficient accommodation. However, a student may request extended test time for additional semesters or classes. These requests will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis. For more information, please contact Ami Christensen,

Additional time on exams request form

Foreign Language/Culture Requirement Waiver (For students who started BEFORE Fall 2016)

Students at UWEC must complete a requirement for foreign language/culture learning. Students who are unsure if they have completed this requirement or not can check for it on their degree audit. International Students receive a waiver via their academic advisor for this requirement when they have satisfied the university writing requirement (WRIT 114 or 116, 118 or 120) with a C+ or better.

Please make an appointment with your academic advisor after the end of the semester in which you take your WRIT class and have them start the e-form for you. Refer them to this notice and advise them to contact Linda Carlson with any questions.

Health Insurance

All international students are required to purchase accident and sickness, medical evacuation, and repatriation insurance each semester throughout their studies. Insurance is a requirement of the University of Wisconsin System in addition to some student visas. Students are charged for insurance through their student bill and are automatically enrolled by the Center for International Education (CIE).

Students are required to purchase insurance for all dependents who may accompany them to the United States on a dependent visa.

Dates of Enrollment:

Spring Semester 2018: January 1 - August 4

For plan summary, claims information, contact information, and ID card visit this website.

For instructions on how to print your insurance card please follow this link.

Tax Information

The CIE is unable to help advise students on filing their United State income taxes. However, there are a number of programs what can help international students when filing income taxes.

International students have access to Glacier Tax Prep though the UW-System. Follow this link to the website.

Sprintax is another option for international students to use to file taxes. There are promotional flyers in the CIE for a discount code. 

Inviting Friends or Family to Visit

Click here for more information on inviting friends or family to visit you at UW-Eau Claire

The US State Department/Bureau of Consular Affairs has a website with additional information about applying for a tourist visa. In addition, many individual consulates will have more specific information about inviting family members on their websites. You can find links to US Consulates around the world on the above site or at

Updating Your Personal Information

The Center for International Education is required to report your change of address in the United States and in your home country within days of each move. 

You MUST have both a US address and address in your home country on files with UWEC at all times. The CIE is also required to report your phone number. To ensure that you are reporting your addresses and phone numbers correctly, please visit the following links.

Home country address

United States address

Reporting a change in on campus employment

The CIE is required to report changes to your on campus employment to the US Government. Please click here to report changes any time you start a new job or end a current job.

Optional Practical Training (OPT) STEM Extension

If you believe you are eligible for an OPT STEM extension please contact the Center for International Education to speak with an ISS staff member. Either stop into Schofield 3 or call 715-836-4411.

Academic training

Academic training is an opportunity for students on J visas to obtain training experience in their field of study at UW-Eau Claire.

Click here to learn more about academic training for J-1 visa holders.

Reduced course load

Students may be eligible to go below 12 credits only with permission of the U.S. Government. The reasons may be initial difficulties with U.S. teach methods, incorrect course placement, medical reasons, or final semester. 

Please review the form and talk with an ISS staff member to determine if you are eligible. The criteria is strict, so contact a staff member early.

To find out about getting a reduced course load click here.

Optional Practical Training (OPT) Reporting

In order to meet the federal reporting requirements for OPT you must use this form you will need the following information:

  • Employer EIN number
  • Hours worked per week
  • Address
  • The name and address of any additional employer within 5 days of beginning position
  • Any breaks in employment or discontinuation of employment within 5 days of ending the position

Note: Unemployment of more than 90 days will cause your OPT to automatically end by the SEVIS system. The way they know you are employed is through your report of the employer's information.

Note: Provide a 6-month update on your employment status and personal information here.

Requesting a Transcript

Upon graduation you will be mailed a copy of your official transcript. If you wish to receive additional copies of your transcript please follow this link or contact Blugold Central at 715-836-3000.

Off-campus housing

Moving off-campus can be an exciting yet confusing time for students. The CIE cannot advise on specific off-campus housing questions but the university does offer an off-campus housing guide to help students navigate moving off campus.

Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

CPT allows F visa holders the opportunity to take part in credit-bearing training opportunities such as internships during their studies. In order to be eligible for CPT, students must be earning internship credit in their major field of study.

For information on CPT please click here.

Obtaining a Social Security Number for On-campus Employment

In order to be employed, on-campus international students must obtain a social security number. Students must download this form or pick it up from the Center for International Education in Schofield 3.

Section 1 on the form is filled out by the student.
Section 2 is filled out by the employer.

Once both sections are filled out, the form must be turned into the CIE.

An international student adviser will look over the form and complete the process which can take up to two weeks. Once the form is signed by an international student adviser, the student will receive an email saying their form is ready to be picked up.

The student can then take the form to the social security office and obtain their number.

Program Extension

F- visa holders: If you need additional time to finish your program of study, please complete the program extension form, have it signed by your academic adviser, and return to the CIE. We will extend your program on your I-20 or contact you with further questions.            

J-visa holders: If you need additional time to finish your program of study or want to extend your study at UW -Eau Claire you will need both the program extension form and proof of financial support for the rest of your program of study. Please make an appointment with an ISS staff member.

Transferring from UW-Eau Claire

If you are transferring to another educational institution, the CIE may be able to help you transfer your immigration / SEVIS record to the new institution. However, you are responsible for transferring all of your academic records.

Once you have received an acceptance letter from your new institution, please contact the CIE for an appointment about transferring your immigration record. An immigration record transfer can take place if you are transferring at the same education level or if you are going to another education level (like graduate school).

Severe economic hardship

If on-campus employment opportunities are not available or are otherwise insufficient, an eligible F-1 student may request employment authorization based on severe economic hardship caused by unforeseen circumstances beyond the student's control.

The application requires adjudication by the US Department of Homeland Security and a student can expect to wait four months for adjudication. If you are suffering from severe economic hardship due to unforeseen circumstances, please make an appointment with an ISS staff member to discuss possible options.

Optional Practical Training (OPT) Information

Optional Practical Training (OPT) allows F-visa holders to apply for one year of employment authorization to begin after graduation. The employment authorization is so that recent graduates can obtain training in their field of study. If you are interested in applying for OPT, you should begin the process at the beginning of your final semester before graduation.

To find out more click here.