UW – Eau Claire is fortunate to have a large community of international students. Allowing international students a 2-3 day homestay with participating community members gives students the opportunity to acclimate to daily American life and discover new customs in a safe environment outside of the University community. Additionally, hosts keep in touch with their student throughout their first semester.
As a host you can expect to:
- Pick up students in Eau Claire
- Provide a 2-3 day homestay
- Give support and comfort during their first semester at UW - Eau Claire
- Help with periods of transition and cultural adjustment
- Introduce students to Eau Claire and American culture
- Learn about your student's culture
As a student you can expect to:
- Stay in an American house for a weekend homestay
- Learn American and Eau Claire culture
- Participate in adventures beyond the University community
- Teach an American family about your culture
What to expect: UW – Eau Claire’s Host Friend Program is an excellent opportunity to be involved with the University atmosphere, learn about a new culture, and build like-long international friendships!
For more information about becoming a Host Friend to an international student, download the Host Friend Program Handbook here THE HANDBOOK or contact the Center for International Education at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling (715) 836-4411.
Current, traditional UWEC students are NOT eligible to become a Host Friend. However, there are plenty of opportunities for students to be involved with UW – Eau Claire’s international student community.
How Do I Become a Host Friend?
To join the host friend program, you must submit the application below. Once that has been received, the Community Outreach Coordinator will send you the Hosting Agreement form via email.
The Community Outreach Coordinator will conduct a background check, phone interview, and two reference checks before admitting you to the Host Friend Program.
Hosting international students for several years has brought our family unlimited joy. It has also offered us the opportunity to be good ambassadors for our own country. Hosting has encouraged our children to be open minded and eager to learn.