Skip to main content

Application and admission process for international exchange students

The University of Wisconsin - Eau Claire has partnerships across the world. Exchange Programs allow international and domestic students to "change places" for a semester or year. Students will take courses in their field of study and transfer credits to their home university. Application deadlines: March 1 for fall semester; October 15 for spring semester.

Information for prospective exchange students

Information for international exchange coordinators and students


International exchange student application process

If you are a student at one of UW - Eau Claire's partner institutions and have been approved by your home university to study at UW - Eau Claire, please complete the online application and submit the other required documents to the Center for International Education. All items can be submitted via email, EXCEPT for original transcripts. Your home university must send original transcripts via email to Jacqueline Chambers, at You may submit other materials via email to the exchange coordinator. 

1. UW System Special Student Online Application

All exchange students will apply to UW-Eau Claire using an online application.

2. Evidence of English Proficiency

Students are expected to submit English proficiency if they plan on taking non ESL academic
coursework. Students are able to demonstrate English proficiency in one of four ways:

  • TOEFL iBT total score of 75 or 541 institutional
  • IELTS overall score of 6.0
  • Demonstrate successful completion of a CEFR (Common European Framework) C1 English course on an official transcript
  • Instruction of home university is in English *Please note: Attestation of English Language form is still required. See below.*

All students are required to demonstrate Attestation of English Language which is required for the student visa. This form can be found here. This must be completed by a representative of your home university or English Language school.

Students who do not submit English Proficiency are still required to demonstrate English proficiency. Students with a score less than 75ibt or equivalency will take an English as a Second Language placement test during orientation.
Students may be recommended ESL courses based on their result.

  • Minimum TOEFL ibt total score of 48 or IELTS overall score of 4.0 is required for the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire
3. Financial Verification Form

Complete the Financial Verification Form-Exchange documenting your source of funding for the duration of your program. The document must be signed and date by you and any sponsors. 

If you are a nominated student from the Hessen-Wisconsin exchange agreement, please use the Financial Verification Form- Hessen/Wisconsin Exchange

4. Certified Financial Supporting Documents

You are required to provide certified financial supporting documents adding up to the total indicated on your Financial Verification Form. Acceptable forms include certified bank statements. The bank statement must be certified (signed and stamped) by a bank employee or your home university. These documents should be less than six months old. 

Photocopies of bank documents that are uncertified are not acceptable. Online printouts of bank accounts and a summary of activity are also not acceptable financial supporting documents. You need to provide original bank statements as certified by the bank. 

5. University Academic Records

You are required to submit original or certified copies of your university academic records listing courses taken and grades from your home university. These copies must have an official stamp and signature from a university official.

You must submit both original language and English translation. These MUST be sent by your home university via email. 

If you have studied in the U.S. prior, including language coursework, please submit an official transcript of all courses taken in the U.S. You can send via email or directly to our office via post.

If you submit via post, please submit the transcripts to the following address:

Center for International Education
Schofield 3
105 Garfield Ave. 
Eau Claire, WI 54701 USA

6. Passport Copy

Submit a copy of the photo page of your passport. 

Please have your home university submit the transcripts directly to via email or via post to the following address:

Center for International Education
Schofield Hall 003
105 Garfield Ave. 
Eau Claire, WI 54701 USA

All other items can be sent via email as scans. Your home university will be contacted via email regarding the determination of your application. Once you are accepted, please ensure you are completing the required items on the accepted international student checklist prior to arrival on the Admissions website

Academic Advising

Academic advising is offered for students through Advising, Retention and Career Center. Questions regarding course information or registration should be directed to Linda Carlson at

Degree-Seeking and Dual Degree Students

Degree-seeking students should visit the Admissions for application information.

We want to hear from you

Please enter your name

Please enter a valid email address

Please enter a valid phone number

Please enter a message