There are specific policies regarding gift cards and cash payments given for various events including surveys, incentives, prizes, etc.
- Prize – Something of value conveyed as a result of chance, generally for promotional purposes, to one or more participants in a University-sponsored event.
- Award – Recognition or something of value conveyed as a result of competition, merit, or in recognition of service to the institution on the part of the recipient.
- Gift – A voluntary conveyance of something of value as a gesture of goodwill or appreciation.
- Giveaway- Small non-monetary value item used to promote department/event i.e. mug, water bottle, pens, magnets, etc.
- Obtain pre-approval for any prize/gift/award/giveaway from Controller or designee
- Purchase item if approved. Please contact Purchasing Department at extension 5171 or email@example.com to see what vendor we are contracted to go through for item wanted.
- Submit payment request for item(s). Please include a copy of the pre-approval confirmation with submission. If using a Pcard to purchase, include confirmation with log submission.
- Collect recipient information needed for IRS reporting and submit electronically below to Assistant Controller.
Things to Consider/Common Q’s
- Not all funds can be used to purchase prizes/gifts/awards/giveaways.
- All prizes/gifts/awards/giveaways require the recipient to provide their personal information such as social security number to receive.
- In cases where tangible property transferred to an employee by an employer for length of service or safety achievement, awarded as part of a meaningful presentation, under conditions or circumstances that do not create a significant likelihood of the payment of disguised compensation a receipt form is not needed.