Imagine the campus of UW-Eau Claire overtaken by a day-long firestorm of creativity and positive community energy, culminating in yards and yards of sidewalk space displaying amazing chalk artwork. That's Chalkfest. This annual event will take place on the beautiful UWEC campus. While artists will get started on their drawings early, public hours will be between 11 a.m. and 7 p.m. It's part urban art festival and part family-friendly fun.
Chalkfest 2019 Winners!
Winner: Square 56 – Theresa Hanson
Honorable Mention: Square 60 – Jessica Kopecky
Winner: Square 217 – Kaiah Hurt
Honorable Mention: Square 182 – Lauren Anderson
Winner: Square 23 – Group Name: You Can’t Chalk Alone
Honorable Mention: Square 168 – Group Name: Schleuderhaus
PEOPLES CHOICE CATEGORY
Winner: Square 42 – Autumn Tio
Honorable Mention: Square 24 – Scott Vleck
The UW-Eau Claire campus is bordered and criss-crossed by several large sidewalks where registered artists of all ages from throughout the community will create elaborate, large-scale chalk artwork. Throughout the day, artists will create their work as thousands of visitors watch their drawings come to life. Participants are encouraged to pre-register to reserve a spot.
In addition to the artwork on-site there will be food, music and much more throughout the day and into the evening. There will also be an area for younger kids to participate in a large kids' mural.
View photos from last year's event
- 6x6 = $25
- 6x12 or 12x6 = $30
- *T-Shirt = $5
*A Chalkfest t-shirt may be purchased for an additional $5 on the day of the event by artists only (t-shirts for others will be $10 each)
Interested in doing a larger chalk piece than allotted in these squares? Contact organizers for more information about size and square placement opportunities! Email email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org for more info.
First-time participants must be at least 12 years old. Those 11 and under are encouraged to get involved with Chalkfest through the children's murals and designated drawing area. A $3 fee on-site gets them a small box of kids chalk to use —this does not require registration.
With registration, artists receive:
- Assigned chalking space determined with registration form
- One box of 48 color artist chalk
- One sponge for blending
- One set of latex gloves (sizes small, medium or large available)
Additional supplies will be on sale at the event in limited quantities. Chalkfest's chalk is non-toxic and environmentally friendly.
Additional supplies for sale on site:
- Individual pastels
- Set of 6 blacks
- Set of 3 black / 3 white
- Set of 24 pastels
- Set of 48 pastels
- Chalkfest t-shirt ($5 for artists, $10 for all others)
- Water + beverages
Check-in for artists will be from 7 a.m. to 10 a.m. on Saturday at the specified registration tent. Organizers will be available to show you your assigned space and provide you with registration materials.
The earliest you able to begin is at 7 a.m. on the day of the event. Because all artists are being judged by the same criteria, allowing some to begin their projects hours early gives an unfair advantage.
- Completing a drawing can be physically challenging depending on the complexity and size, be ready to work hard and consider using friends as help!
- Wear a hat and sunblock to prevent sunburn.
- Focus on comfort. Knee pads are strongly recommended. Old pillows or other comfort devices are also encouraged. Perhaps a folding yard chair.
- Pastels will be provided. However, if you are using a predominant color in your design you may want to purchase that color before the festival. Some swapping of colors with other artists may be possible.
Rules + guidelines:
- Artwork must be appropriate for public viewing: please no nudes, advertising, or overt political statements.
- No oil pastels allowed.
- Children 12 years and under must be supervised by a parent/guardian.
- Artists must stay within space provided, but the whole space does not have to be used.
- Non-compliance with these rules may result in removal from the festival.
- Chalkfest organizers may use photos or reproductions of your artwork for future advertising and media purposes.
In case of rain:
It is the artist's responsibility to bring materials to cover their own drawings, and weigh it down so it doesn't blow away. In case of severe weather, the festival will be cancelled and unfortunately no refunds will be issued due to costs incurred by Chalkfest.
Interested in volunteering at Chalkfest?
It's an awesome way to get involved with a fun, community event and check out some great local art! We have shifts from 7am-6pm and they vary from registration tent help to t-shirt/chalk sales assistant.
Sign up to volunteer: HERE!
Thank you to our sponsors!
UW-Eau Claire and Volume One would like to thank our presenting sponsor, Markquart Toyota, supporting sponsor, Festival Foods and sponsor Cesspool Cleaners for helping to make this event a success.
Chalkfest organizers encourage local artists, individuals, businesses, or media to get involved with this new community event. For more information, contact email@example.com or Volume One firstname.lastname@example.org.