Chalkfest is a day-long firestorm of creativity and positive community energy, culminating in over a quarter mile of sidewalk space displaying amazing chalk artwork! Created by Volume One, this event is hosted on the beautiful UW-Eau Claire campus along the Chippewa River. Chalkfest is one of the most highlight anticipated events of the summer and it's a free urban art festival with tons of family-friendly fun!
Join us as an artist!
- $20 | Just square (various sizes)
- $35 | Square + Chalk (48 Piece Koss International Artists soft pastels)
- Artists must be at least 12 years old to participate. Younger artists can join us in our free Family Area.
- One Chalkfest branded cooling towel
- One (1) sponge for blending
- One (1) set of latex gloves (small, medium or large available)
Saturday from 7 a.m. - 10 a.m. at the Registration Tent. We’ll provide registration materials and show you your assigned space.
You may not register or begin chalking before 7 a.m. This is to ensure all artists are judged fairly.
- Be Ready | Completing a drawing can be physically challenging depending on the complexity and size. Be ready to work hard and consider using friends as help!
- Protect Yourself | Wear a hat and sunblock to prevent sunburn.
- Focus on comfort | Knee pads are strongly recommended, and old pillows or other comfort devices are also encouraged. Perhaps a folding yard chair.
- Consider Extra Chalk | Pastels will be provided for those who choose the $30 square, however if you are using a predominant color in your design you may want to purchase that color before the festival. Some swapping of colors with other artists may be possible. Additionally, we will have some pastels available for sale on site (cash only).
Rules + guidelines
- Artists must be at least twelve (12) years old to participate.
- Artwork must be appropriate for public viewing. Nudes, advertising or overt political statements are not allowed.
- Oil pastels are not allowed.
- Artists must stay within space provided, though the whole space does not have to be used.
- Non-compliance with these rules may result in removal from the festival.
- Chalkfest organizers may use photos or reproductions of your artwork for future advertising and media purposes.
We will have an artists lounge located in Centennial Hall for you to take a break from the sun. Refreshments will be provided at no cost.
It is the artist's responsibility to bring materials to cover their drawings and to weigh down the materials so they don't blow away. In case of severe weather, the festival will be cancelled and refunds will not be available due to costs incurred by Chalkfest.
How do I register to draw?
Click here to register.
How much is registration?
Registration fees for 2022 are: $35 which includes a concrete square, 48 box of colored chalk, 1-chalkfest branded cooling towel, 1 pair of gloves &
blending sponge or $20 for just the concrete square.
Where can I park?
Parking is available behind the Davies Student Center and Hibbard Hall. Click here for further parking and transportation details
When will judging begin?
4pm – 6pm Judges
11am-6pm Audience Favorite voting
What categories can we be judged on?
Group Jury Award
Group Honorable Mention
Audience Choice Honorable Mention
Adult Individual Jury Award
Adult Individual Honorable Mention
Youth Individual Jury Award
Youth Individual Honorable Mention
The UW-Eau Claire campus is covered with several large sidewalks where registered artists of all ages from throughout the community will create elaborate, large-scale chalk artwork. Throughout the day, artists will create their work as thousands of visitors watch their drawings come to life. Participants are encouraged to pre-register to reserve a spot.
Visit our Family Fun Zone for activities for the whole family! Enjoy the sweet sounds of local musicians in the Outdoor Amphitheater.
We feature some of the best food trucks in the Chippewa Valley.
|Olson's Ice Cream|
Interested in volunteering at Chalkfest?
It's an awesome way to get involved with a fun, community event and check out some great local art! We have shifts from 7am-6pm and they vary from registration tent help to chalk sales assistant to handing out programs.
Sign up to volunteer: HERE!
Before you come
What time does Chalkfest start and end?
Chalkfest is open to the public at 11 a.m. and activities end around 7 p.m.
Where is Chalkfest held?
Chalkfest is held on the UW-Eau Claire lower campus mall.
Where can I park?
Parking is available free and readily available in the Hibbard or Phillips Lot and across the footbridge at the Water Street or Haas Fine Arts Lots. Click here for a campus map. Additional parking can be found on the street.
Thank you to the sponsors who make Chalkfest an amazing community event!
Become a sponsor
Chalkfest attracts thousands of people from the Chippewa Valley and beyond, and is covered widely in local and regional media. Sponsors are recognized through extensive local advertising, on social media and at the event. Contact us to learn more about joining us as a sponsor!