Chalkfest is a day-long firestorm of creativity and positive community energy, culminating in over a quarter mile of sidewalk space displaying amazing chalk artwork! Hosted on the beautiful UW-Eau Claire campus along the Chippewa River, Chalkfest is one of the most highlight anticipated events of the summer. It's a free urban art festival with tons of family-friendly fun!
The UW-Eau Claire campus is bordered and criss-crossed by several large sidewalks where registered artists of all ages from throughout the community will create elaborate, large-scale chalk artwork. Throughout the day, artists will create their work as thousands of visitors watch their drawings come to life. Participants are encouraged to pre-register to reserve a spot.
Visit our Family Fun Zone for activities, free chalking on our Community Mural and more! Enjoy the sweet sounds of local musicians in the Schofield Amphitheater.
We feature some of the best food trucks in the Chippewa Valley. Gyros, fair food, ice cream, coffee and more!
New in 2020
Exciting details coming soon!
Interested in volunteering at Chalkfest?
It's an awesome way to get involved with a fun, community event and check out some great local art! We have shifts from 7am-6pm and they vary from registration tent help to t-shirt/chalk sales assistant.
Sign up to volunteer: HERE!
Stay @ UWEC
Before you come
What time does Chalkfest start and end?
Chalkfest is open to the public at 11 a.m. and activities end around 7 p.m.
Where is Chalkfest held?
Chalkfest is held on the UW-Eau Claire lower campus mall.
Where can I park?
Parking is available free and readily available in the Hibbard, Phillips, Water Street or Haas Fine Arts Lots. Click here for a campus map.
Join us as an artist!
- $25 | 6’ x 6’ space
- $30 | 6’ x 12’ or 12‘ x 6’
- Artists must be at least 12 years old to participate. Younger artists can join us in our free Family Area.
- Interested in a larger square? Email us for more information about size and square placement opportunities!
- Assigned chalking space determined with registration form
- One (1) box of 48 color artist chalk (non-toxic & environmentally friendly)
- One (1) sponge for blending
- One (1) set of latex gloves (small, medium or large available)
Available for purchase at Chalkfest
- $10 | public + artists
- artists have the option to purchase a shirt registration for $5
Additional supplies (quantities limited)
- Individual pastels
- Set of 6 blacks
- Set of 3 black and 3 whites
- Set of 24 pastels
- Set of 48 pastels
- Water + beverages
Saturday from 7 - 10 a.m. at the Registration Tent. We’ll provide registration materials and show you your assigned space.
You may not register or begin chalking before 7 a.m. This is to ensure all artists are judged fairly.
- Be Ready | Completing a drawing can be physically challenging depending on the complexity and size. Be ready to work hard and consider using friends as help!
- Protect Yourself | Wear a hat and sunblock to prevent sunburn.
- Focus on comfort | Knee pads are strongly recommended, and old pillows or other comfort devices are also encouraged. Perhaps a folding yard chair.
- Consider Extra Chalk | Pastels will be provided, however if you are using a predominant color in your design you may want to purchase that color before the festival. Some swapping of colors with other artists may be possible.
Rules + guidelines
- Artists must be at least twelve (12) years old to participate.
- Artwork must be appropriate for public viewing. Nudes, advertising or overt political statements are not allowed.
- Oil pastels are not allowed.
- Artists must stay within space provided, though the whole space does not have to be used.
- Non-compliance with these rules may result in removal from the festival.
- Chalkfest organizers may use photos or reproductions of your artwork for future advertising and media purposes.
It is the artist's responsibility to bring materials to cover their drawings and to weigh down the materials so they don't blow away. In case of severe weather, the festival will be cancelled and refunds will not be available due to costs incurred by Chalkfest.
Stay @ UW-Eau Claire
Stay in one of our air-conditioned residence halls at a great rate!
More details to come
Thank you to the sponsors who make Chalkfest an amazing community event!
Become a sponsor
Chalkfest attracts thousands of people from the Chippewa Valley and beyond, and is covered widely in local and regional media. Sponsors are recognized through extensive local advertising, on social media and at the event. Contact us to learn more about joining us as a sponsor!
Email us to learn more