Exchanges: dialogues between poetry and art
The Ruth Foster Gallery at the University of Wisconsin - Eau Claire is hosting Exchanges: dialogues between poetry and art. This exciting juried exhibition will consist of both visual and literary art; poets writing original poems inspired by a selection of professional visual artworks, and visual artists creating original works inspired by a selection of professional poems.
Submission limit: 2 entries of artwork and/or 2 entries of poetry.
Entry Fee: none
- Submission deadline: July 1, 2023
- Notice of Accepted works: July 21, 2023
- Delivery of work deadline: August 23, 2023
- Exhibition Dates: September 8 – October 4, 2023
Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org, www.uwec.ly/fostergallery
Call for poetry:
Poets (over 18) are invited to submit original poems that interpret, inhabit, confront and/or speak to one of the below professional works of visual art.
Artwork #1: Pat Brentano, Missing Birds, Link to Artwork
Artwork #2: Scott Greene, Timberline, Link to Artwork
Artwork #3: Alex Webb, Tehuantepec, Mexico, 1985, Link to Artwork
Artwork #4: Neery Gabriel Lemus, Friction of Distance, Link to Artwork
Guidelines for Poetry:
- Poems must be original
- Poems may be in free verse, a traditional poetic form, or contemporized poetic form
- Poems may be of any length
- Poems may be in any language (provide English translation)
- Entries must identify the visual art work that the poems respond to
- Poems must be submitted as both a word docx and as a PDF (to ensure proper spacing)
- Optional (but highly desired): audio recording of poems may be submitted with the entry. The Foster Gallery may choose to exhibit the recordings in addition to printed accepted poetry. Audio submissions must be formatted as an MP4.
The Foster Gallery reserves the right to alter the font and page layout of the printed poem to be displayed in the Foster Gallery. Layout and line spacing will align with the poem entry submission.
Submit Poetry Here
Call for art:
Visual artists, living in the United States and ages 18 and over, are invited to submit original works of visual art that interpret, inhabit, confront and/or speak to one of the below professional poems.
Poem #1: Jessica Q. Stark, "Trace Leakage: LA Pet Cemetery", Link to Poem
Poem #2: Taneum Bambrick, "Biological Control Task", Link to Poem
Poem #3: Rita Mookerjee, "Shrine", Link to Poem
Poem #4: Dorothy Chan, "A Poem About Killing Off Your Homophobic Characters", Link to Poem
Guidelines for Art:
- Submissions are open to all visual art media, including but limited to painting, drawing, ceramics, sculpture, photography, video, digital, and installation art.
- All image submissions must be JPEG files. Video art may include a weblink to view video.
- Entries must identify the poem that the artwork respond to
- Dimension Limitations for installation: 2D artworks cannot exceed 60" in length or width when installed. 3D artworks cannot exceed 48" x 48". Email email@example.com if you have questions about size.
- The Foster Gallery is prepared to assist with shipping costs. Accepted 3-D works should fit in one or two 20”x20” boxes. Boxes for 2D works should not exceed 38” in any direction.
- If work is oversized and cannot be framed (works OVER 50” x 50” or 2500 square inches), work can be hung by alternative means (for example, magnets or on a scroll). The hardware for hanging (beyond normal screws and nails) must be supplied by the artist with detailed install instructions. Work sent that is not framed and without any hardware and instructions will not be exhibited to assure safety of the work.
- If installation/hanging hardware is considered unsafe for public display, or the artwork is not ready for public display (such as not having proper hardware or arrives damaged) the artwork will not be included in exhibition and the artist will be responsible for return shipping.
- Artwork that is different from an artist's original submission will not be included in the exhibition, and the artist will be responsible its shipping costs.
The Foster Gallery will do their best to accommodate any special installation requests but reserves the right to display work in a manner they deem fit for the overall exhibition.
- Artworks may be hand delivered or shipped.
- The Foster Gallery is prepared to assist with shipping costs of artwork using common carriers of FedEx or UPS
- Accepted 3-D works should fit in one or two 20”x20” boxes. Boxes for 2D works should not exceed 38” in any direction. Works that exceed these sizes may be hand delivered or the artists will be responsible for shipping costs.
- Artists must ship artwork using a sturdy, reusable packing materials clearly labeled with name, shipping address and telephone number.