Registering a Youth Activity
The Office of Risk Management, Safety & Sustainability (RMSS) maintains a campus-wide registry of Youth Activities to enable coordination of oversight. Youth Activities must register with RMSS no later than thirty (30) days before the date when youth arrive or begin the activity.
RMSS collects campus-wide data regarding the type, scope, and frequency of youth activities, as well as demographic data. Registration is not intended to assess the academic content of the activity.
Required to Register
A Youth Activity is defined as an intentional interaction between one or more Youth and a University employee or University-appointed volunteer; the Activity is sponsored or operated in part or in whole by the University, regardless of location or duration. Examples include but are not limited to: programs, events, camps, clinics, workshops, symposia, conferences, tournaments, meets, clubs, projects, competitions, internships, job shadowing, mentoring, lessons, coaching, tutoring, tours, field trips, lab visits, service-learning placements, etc.
Not Required to Register
- Paid hourly employment of an individual under the age of 18
- Enrollment in a university course by an individual under the age of 18
- Orientation and academic advising activities for Matriculated Students under the age of 18
- University events open to the general public, such as open houses, sporting events, concerts, and ticketed events
- Licensed Children's Nature Academy preschool and/or childcare activities
- Medical care given to minors in a University patientcare setting by a licensed health care provider
- Research protocols approved by the University IRB (Institutional Review Board). Note: supplemental procedures may constitute a youth activity, for example transportation or supervision of youth research participants if unaccompanied by a parent/guardian.
- Activities under UW-Eau Claire Policy “Children in the Workplace,” typically an employee bringing their own child to visit campus
- Submit Registration | the Program Director must complete and submit a Youth Activity Registration Form at least thirty (30) days before the date when youth arrive or begin the activity
- Dean/Director's Approval | the form will be routed to the sponsoring unit's dean or director (Risk Executive Sponsor) for review and approval.
- RMSS Review | the Office of Risk Management, Safety & Sustainability (RMSS) will review the form and may contact the Program Director to review requirements
- Approval | the activity registration will be approved when RMSS verifies that all requirements for the activity have been met