The program will provide up to $1,200 in cost-share support per funded proposal to bring guest lecturers, artists, and other professionals to campus. The primary aim of this program is to provide professional development for UWEC faculty and academic staff. Guest lecturers should be readily available to faculty and academic staff in the department or unit making the proposal.
Although speakers may be brought into specific classes, at least one session must be open to the entire university community. Dollar for dollar matching is not required, but there must be departmental and college or unit matching support for each proposal. Departments are encouraged to propose speaker series requests that cover the entire academic year in a single proposal. These speaker series proposals may request up to $3,600. For conferences with several speakers coming to campus in the same week, $2,000 may be requested. Venue and food for reception/conference are not allowable costs.
This program is in addition to the University's long-established Visiting Minority Scholars and Artists Program, a collaboration with the Affirmative Action office.
Internationalize your curriculum with a visit from a Fulbright Scholar! Scholars from throughout the world are awarded Fulbright grants to study and teach in the United States. Through the Fulbright Occasional Lecturer Fund, these scholars can travel to any U.S. campus and share their knowledge, expertise, and cultural perspectives.
All University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire faculty and academic staff with at least a .5 FTE appointment during the current academic year who are, or who will be, under contract for the following academic year are eligible to apply for funding from this program. Departments, units, and colleges are expected to contribute support to the cost of the proposed professional development activity, but no specific dollar cost-share amount is required.
Note: This program cannot pay a consultant honorarium to anyone employed in the UW System.
The Professional Development (Guest Lectures, Artists, and Other Professionals)application is processed in BP Logix. Please visit the Using eForms and BP Logix page for a detailed explanation of the eForm system.
To apply, an academic staff member must initiate the Professional Development Form available from ORSP. Once the form has been initiated, choose Guest Lectures, Artists, and Other Professionals from the Professional Development Program drop down.
The proposal consists of:
- Professional Development Form (Select 'Guest Lectures, Artists, and Other Professionals' in the form)
- Applicants must clearly explain and justify all requested expenses in the budget explanation section of the form
- A Narrative (2 to 4 pages in a word-processed document) addressing each of the following:
- Information on the proposed visitor and event
- Explanation of how the visit will provide professional development for UW-Eau Claire faculty and/or academic staff
- Additional target population(s), such as students or community members
- Plan for publicizing the event
- Awards from this program during the past three years
Deadline for Application
Submit your proposal to the dean (or equivalent) by the first working day of each month. Proposals must be received by the dean at least six weeks before the proposed event to provide adequate time for committee review. Proposals submitted after the guest’s visit will not be considered.
A decision will be made by the end of the month in which the proposal is submitted. If an opportunity arises that requires funding prior to the next monthly review cycle, please contact the Office of Research and Sponsored Programs at 836-3405 to discuss options available.
Previous Awarded Projects
- Guest Lecturers, Artists, and other Professionals Award 2020-2021
- Guest Lecturers, Artists, and other Professionals Award 2019-2020
- Guest Lecturers, Artists, and other Professionals Award 2018-2019
- Guest Lecturers, Artists, and other Professionals Award 2017-2018
- Guest Lecturers, Artists, and other Professionals Award 2016-2017
- Guest Lecturers, Artists, and other Professionals Award 2015-2016
- Guest Lecturers, Artists, and other Professionals Award 2014-2015