The Grounds department is responsible for the maintenance of all grounds owned by UW-Eau Claire.
- Equipment maintenance and repair
- Flood control and dam maintenance
- Irrigation maintenance
- Landscape design and projects
- Ornamental planting and maintenance
- Designing, selecting, purchasing, planting, pruning, mulching, fertilizing, spraying, watering of trees, shrubs, perennial, annual flowers.
- Project design and management
- Sign maintenance
- Snow and ice removal
- Sweeping, plowing, blowing and shoveling snow; spreading sand and de-icers on parking and service lots, walkways, exterior stairways, ramps, curb cuts, providing extra attention to areas of handicapped accessibility.
- Trash removal
- Picking and collecting trash on campus grounds; cleaning ash receptacles; assisting in demolition projects and hauling away construction debris.
- Tree care and trail maintenance
- Turf management
- The UW-Eau Claire Grounds shop uses a variety of liquid and granular de-icing products depending on the location, temperatures and other conditions.
- Rock salt – sodium chloride; used on roadways and parking lots; purchased from the City of Eau Claire or Eau Claire County as needed.
- Sand and salt mix – used on roadways and parking lots when conditions are too cold for rock salt to work; purchased from the City of Eau Claire as needed. Used minimally to prevent silting – as part of the City of Eau Claire and UW-Eau Claire storm water program.
- Potassium Chloride – used on sidewalks; also known as potash (a fertilizer); some sources have a high iron content thus a reddish color. Purchased from local farm co-op when costs are not prohibitive.
- Ice Melter – proprietary blends of four salts: sodium, potassium, magnesium and calcium chlorides; used primarily on walkways and stairways; purchased from the State of Wisconsin Purchasing/Waupun.
- Calcium Chloride – used primarily on walkways and stairways but also on streets and lots when temperatures are below zero; purchased from the State of Wisconsin Purchasing/Waupun.
- NEWS: UW-Eau Claire adds saltwater brine de-icing to sustainability efforts (2/25/2022)
Policies + Master Plans
Maintenance & Central Stores (MCS) 101A
Hours: 6:00 AM – 2:15 PM
Contact: Aaron Turek, email@example.com