The Upward Bound program at UW-Eau Claire is a federally-funded TRIO program dedicated to the preparation for, admission to, and successful completion of a college degree for eligible first-generation and/or low-income high school students. Through academic support, study group sessions, leadership workshops, financial assistance and more, we help to ensure success for students who may otherwise fall through the cracks.
What does Upward Bound provide?
- Tutorials and Study Skills Training
- Interest and Career Exploration
- Academic and Personal Counseling
- Self Leadership Training and Goal Setting
- Cultural Enrichment
- College Exploration, Application, and Financial Aid Assistance
- Six-week summer residency program (one high school elective credit awarded)
- 9th through 11th-grade students from Eau Claire North and Memorial high schools.
- Students whose families meet income guidelines (as determined by the U.S. Department of Education) or are from a family in which neither parent has graduated from a four-year college.
- Students who have been identified as having the potential for success in postsecondary education - college, university, professional or technical school. Students need not have received especially high grades in school to initially qualify.
- After filling out an application and establishing eligibility, two recommendations from adults and an interview are required. Students must show a willingness to make a commitment to participate throughout high school until graduation and to keep Upward Bound notified of post-secondary progress.
What is expected of participants?
The student's continued commitment to the goal of a post-secondary education is expected to ensure personal achievement and the success of the overall program. Upward Bound students must attend weekly study sessions and a monthly activity during the school year. Summer residency requirements include attending class, tutorials, and enrichment activities during the six-week program while living on campus. All participants are expected to follow the rules and policies of the Upward Bound program.
Required weekly study session
Every Tuesday, 3:30-5:30 p.m. at the Boys & Girls Club in Eau Claire. Transportation provided.
- Fill out a preliminary eligibility brochure (available at the Upward Bound office or from school counselors) and mail to the Upward Bound office.
- Complete an Upward Bound application packet (sent after eligibility is determined). Packet includes request for:
- A copy of income tax return or verification of public assistance.
- Recommendations from two teachers, counselors, employers or clergy.
- A student writing sample.
- A copy of applicant's up-to-date school transcript.
- Interview with the program director and student services coordinator.
Questions? We are here to help!