The Intensive English Program (IEP) at the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire is a great place to study English! Our IEP offers a personalized experience that will help increase your English proficiency. With an average class size of 10 students, you will learn valuable study skills, utilize university resources and gain leadership and team-building skills. We are committed to providing you a high quality program that will prepare you for success in your studies at UW-Eau Claire.
The IEP Program meets and exceeds International Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL)'s Standards for Postsecondary Programs as well as NAFSA's Principles of International Educational Exchange.
“The ESL classes improved my reading, writing and listening skills. With my English progress, it is going to be easier for me to enroll in a PhD program” --Student from Mexico
The IEP at UWEC offers international students quality intensive academic English language instruction; provides a cultural orientation to the United States while developing intercultural communication skills; and fosters the attitudes, habits, and skills necessary for success in higher education at UWEC and elsewhere.
In support of fulfilling this mission, we also:
- provide excellent IEP student support and advising,
- commit to our own professional development and to evidence-based teaching,
- promote an improved, inclusive campus climate for intercultural learning,
- serve as a resource for faculty, staff, and students interested in the internationalization of our campus, in international or intercultural education, or the teaching of ESL,
- create opportunities for, and support intercultural communication and enriching educational experiences for both domestic and international students,
- attract, retain and advocate for international students.
“I had so many positive experiences this semester. I think my English is better than in the past. I removed my fear of English” --Student from South Korea