How can the Student Support Services program help you pay for your college education? We strive to keep students well-informed in an effort to reduce any financial stress they may feel as they pursue higher education. Although college students often experience tight budgets, we provide information and opportunities that help our students to find the funds they need to complete their college degree.
The SSS program works closely with UW-Eau Claire's Blugold Central financial aid counselors in assisting students to receive the best financial aid package possible. Please click on the link for an overview of the information offered by the Financial Aid Office, such as current costs of attendance and even projected costs for next year.
Through SSS, I attended a workshop entitled "Developing Your Scholarship Resume," which helped me in the application process to earn $7,000 toward my tuition. My success in applying for scholarships has enhanced my resume, boosted my self-confidence, and made it financially possible to finish my education.
First- and second-year SSS students who receive Pell Grants may be eligible to receive Grant Aid from Student Support Services. Each fall semester, we contact eligible students and encourage them to apply for this grant, which is then awarded prior to spring semester.
UW-Eau Claire and the surrounding community offer many employment opportunities for college students, like on-campus jobs, work-study positions, and off-campus positions in restaurants, retail outlets, and other areas. As you prepare to apply for employment opportunities, the SSS staff can review your resume for you. Also consult Career Services for guidance and utilize Handshake.
Find available scholarships, eligibility and application requirements at the sites below:
Please note that several scholarships specifically target SSS participants or require a first-generation or low-income background for eligibility. Listed below are just a few of these.
- Several scholarships are available through EOA, a regional organization of TRIO personnel, and WAEOPP, a state association.
- Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Program (Designed for students studying abroad; applicants must be eligible for a Pell Grant.
- The Arnold and Lois Domer Scholarship is for first-generation students with at least sophomore standing.
- The Strowig Family Graduate School Assistance Scholarship is available to SSS juniors and seniors to help with expenses for securing admission to graduate or professional school.
The Student Support Services Achievement Scholarship is available to SSS participants with junior standing and a resident GPA of 3.0 or higher.
Programming for student financial literacy
Every year, the SSS program at UW-Eau Claire offers workshops designed to help students finance their education. Typically, these include:
- Financial Planning (explains how to budget for your four-year degree and beyond)
- Practical Tips for Scholarships (explains how to locate opportunities and write successful scholarship applications)
We encourage all SSS students with questions about financial assistance or other concerns to contact an SSS staff member in Vicki Lord Larson Hall 2136, (715) 836-4542.