Frequently Asked Questions

Learn more about where you live

Before you arrive on campus, we want you to know the ins and outs of our residence halls. Often times, students don't always realize all the amenities they have available to them and have a wide variety of questions to ask before moving away from home. It's important for us that you feel comfortable and at ease even before you walk onto campus and become a Blugold. Below you'll find frequently asked questions and general hall information.

Frequently Asked Questions


All rooms have modular furniture. Each student has his/her own bed, desk, desk chair and chest of drawers. Only University-provided bed loft systems are allowed in residence hall rooms.

Click here for more info.

Watch for details in your assignment information on how to specifically request loft and/or room arrangements. The UWEC staff does all lofting as a free service to students.


Yes, our student organization, National Residence Hall Honorary, provides as a fundraiser for this organization the opportunity to rent a MicroFridge unit through

*Note: room assignment is needed to make an order.

The University pays for cable and all on-campus students have access to it. There are hook-ups in each room and a TV cable is provided; however you must provide your own television. All TVs need to be QAM compatible.

TV-10 is a student-run television station whose movies and programs are cablecast exclusively to residence hall students. There are also big-screen televisions in each residence hall TV Lounge.

There is wireless Internet access throughout the Residence Halls as well as wired (Ethernet) access per room. There is also computer access and printers (you must supply own paper) in each residence hall.  Please refer to the ResCom Help Desk for further information about computing and technology services within Housing & Residence Life.

Small fish are the only pets permitted in residence halls, with a maximum tank capacity of up to ten (10) gallons. The presence of dogs, cats, and other pets is prohibited in all University buildings at all times except as approved through the Services for Students with Disabilities Office and/or the Director of Housing.

As you are selecting your preferences in your Housing contract, an option for Towers, Bridgman and Oak Ridge is Chem Free Double. This is the same size living space within a community where students of any age are not allowed to have any alcohol/tobacco products or any other forms of substance in their rooms at any time.




  • If you already know who you want to request as your roommate or you find someone on the roommate finder/Facebook page, one individual may invite the other individual to a roommate group within the housing contract @ My Housing Portal. The other individual then must accept the invitation to make a mutual roommate group.

  • If you want to search for a roommate among other incoming students, the University of Wisconsin Eau Claire Housing + Residence Life is excited to offer a Roommate Finder functionality within your My Housing Portal.

Yes, you should contact your roommate as soon as possible. This will help relieve some stress. Email and telephone information for your roommate(s) is included with your room assignment information at My Housing Portal. You should discuss what each of you is planning to bring so you don’t have duplicate items. Facebook can present an inadequate picture of a person, so it is a good idea to contact them. If there are surprises on your new roommate’s profile, be sure to call and ask about it.

Once you receive your assignment via your UWEC email and/or mailer to home address in early June, you should contract your roommate as soon as possible.

Don’t worry! Most times, having an upper class roommate is very beneficial. They know all the “ins and outs” of college life. They can make your college experience much less stressful.

  • For fall term students, this means either you currently do not have an assigned roommate but may get one at any time. Or, you may be assigned with an international student. International students are assigned in July or beginning of August.
  • For new spring semester students, this generally means you currently do not have a roommate but may get one at any time.
  • Please continue to check your roommate information for updates. Read the International Roommate Guide as you prepare. 

General Hall Information

UWEC has just instituted a security system. Please click on this link for more information – Residence Hall Access.

Each resident shares a mailbox with his/her roommate. In some halls, students have their own mailbox. You will be issued a key for the box and can get your mail anytime.

Federal law prohibits the distribution of mail across the counter of the reception desk. Student must bring University I.D. to claim a package. Students will be asked to sign for packages. No one else may claim a package for a student.

Mail: Mail for all halls (except the Campus Hotel) is delivered to Towers Hall. Mail for all hall is then delivered to the respective facility and housing staff places mail in the student mailboxes. All mail for the Campus Hotel goes directly to this facility. 

Packages: Packages for all hall (except Haymarket, Aspenson Mogensen, Campus Hotel, and Priory) are pick up by the student at Towers Hall. Packages for Haymarket, Aspenson Mogensen, and Priory will be delivered by housing staff directly to these facilities. These residents should anticipate up to a 1 business day delay from delivery to Towers to availability for pick up in the hall. All residence hall students will receive an email notifying them that a package is ready for pick up.  Packages for the Campus Hotel will be delivered directly to this facility.

Each residence hall has a quiet study area. Quiet hours start at 10:00 p.m. The library is also within walking distance.

Most wings have 3-4 showers in each bathroom. About 30-35 residents share these showers. All showers are individual stalls.

Each residence hall has several washers and dryers that are free of charge. You need to bring your own high efficiency detergent.

Alcohol is not permitted in the residence halls unless you are 21 years of age or older. Students 21 or older may consume alcoholic beverages in their room. There are several floors that are designated as chemical free.

Yes, but pictures, pennants, posters and other decorations should be attached to bulletin boards only. The use of tacks, nails or tape on walls, doors, ceilings or floors is prohibited. Masking tape may be used with care on unpainted surfaces. Electric lights should be kept away from bulletin boards and other flammable materials such as crepe paper because of the danger of fire. 

The original design of walls, ceilings and floors may not be covered. Rugs on the floor are permitted. If bringing carpet, a 12' x 15' piece is recommended. University furniture may not be removed from the room at any time. If a person is injured because of a change or modification made by a student to his or her room or furnishings, the University cannot be held liable. 

The Residence Hall Coeducational Judicial Board (or J-Board) has jurisdiction on matters pertaining to violations of existing rules and regulations within or around the residence halls. The J-Board functions not as a court of law, but rather as a body to review alleged violations of University and/or residence hall rules and regulations. These can be found here.

All residence halls remain open and available for no cost for the 2018-2019 academic year during break periods such as Thanksgiving, Winter, and Spring Break. Student do need to register to stay.

All campus parking is managed by Blugold Central. Watch your email for more information from this office on how to secure a parking pass. 
More information or questions contact Blugold Central at 715-836-3000 or

Parent Questions

2019-2020 freshman and transfer student move in will be Saturday, August 31st and Sunday, September 1st. Mark your calendars as you may not come before this so plan accordingly for labor day weekend. Your student will get information with their assignment in June on how to sign up for a move in time/day. Student will be able to elect for the following time slots on each of these days and must pick one! 8am-10am, 10am-12pm, 12pm-2pm or 2pm-4pm. Housing does limit how many student can select a specific time, so sign up early to get what work best for your group. Reference our move-in day site for more details.

Family Weekend is a Housing and Residence Life sponsored weekend that occurs during the middle of fall each year. It is a great time for parents and family members to visit campus and participate in fun programs. More information will be mailed when the time comes.

Mail and packages should be address per the below address information.

Mail: Mail for all halls is delivered to Towers Hall. Mail for all hall is then delivered to the respective facility and housing staff places mail in the student mailboxes.

Packages: Packages for all hall (except Haymarket, Aspenson Mogensen, and Priory) are pick up by the student at Towers Hall. Packages for Haymarket, Aspenson Mogensen, and Priory will be delivered by housing staff directly to the facilities. These residents should anticipate up to a 1 business day delay from delivery to Towers to availability for pick up in the hall. Students will receive an email notifying them that a package is ready for pick up.

For Residence Halls:

Student Name
Room Number and Residence Hall
642 University Dr
Eau Claire, WI 54701 

There is a Visitor Center parking lot (corner of Roosevelt and Park) provided for campus visitors. There are seventeen (17) spaces available for reserved guest parking Monday through Friday.

Parking reservations must be made 24 hours prior to the arrival date by calling the Visitor Center at (715) 836-2544. Guests without prior reservations may use the Visitor Center lot if there is space available, or they can obtain a guest permit for other lots.

Please visit Parking & Transportation for more information.

New Fall Term Residents
Yes! Welcome week for new freshmen starts on move-in day and continues through the first day of classes in September. It is comprised of multiple events for students to participate in. This is a great time to meet new people and fully experience college life when first arriving on campus!

For more information click here.

New Spring Term Residents
Watch for spring semester activities occur the first week of class. There are many campus happenings. But also watch for details within your hall.


  • Assignments are run based on housing contract submit date (not housing deposit submit date)
  • If you have a mutual roommate group request, then the assignment will be based on the student with the earliest housing contract submit date

Early June before you come to campus for orientation. Watch your mailbox at home and email box for notification.

We want to hear from you

Please enter your name

Please enter a valid email address

Please enter a valid phone number

Please enter a message