Skip to main content

You have questions, we have answers

See the list of commonly asked questions below for both prospective and current students. If you don't see what you are looking for there, contact us at the information on the bottom of this page.

Questions relevant to prospective students

Will my credits from another school transfer?

Equivalencies for all UW System schools, Wisconsin Technical Colleges, private schools in Wisconsin, Minnesota schools and UWEC study abroad programs can be found on MyBlugold CampS. Frequently, changes and updates are made to the transfer equivalency files. To ensure that the course will transfer to UW-Eau Claire as you intend it to, you should document the current equivalency information. To do this, do one of the following:

Use the UWEC Transfer Credit Wizard or Reverse Lookup Wizard

Once you find the equivalency you’re looking for, simply print a copy of the page showing the equivalency, make sure there is a date printed on the page, and retain it for your records as documentation of the credit you will receive upon completing a transfer course. Once you’ve completed the course, remember to have a transcript sent to the UWEC Registrar’s office from the school where you take the course. To access the Transfer Credit Wizard or Reverse Lookup Wizard, login to MyBlugold CampS and from the homepage, select the "Miscellaneous" tile. Select either Transfer Credit Wizard or Transfer Credit Reverse Lookup (whichever applies to your situation) from the left side of the page.

Use the Prior Approval Form

Alternatively, if you did not find the school or course you were looking for in the UWEC Transfer Credit Wizard, you may complete a Prior Approval Form. Retain a copy for your records.

Math, English and language placement tests

For more information on placement testing, visit this page

Questions from current students

How do I drop/withdraw from a class?

During the first two weeks of fall and spring semesters, you can drop a full-semester class using MyBlugold CampS. There will be no record of your enrollment in the class on your transcript.  If the course does not meet the entire semester, check for add/drop restrictions.

Starting the third week of the semester, you must obtain approval signatures on the Change of Registration form to withdraw from a class. A “W” will be denoted on your transcript.

Dates for dropping a class with no record of enrollment and for withdrawing from a class with a “W” are prorated for short courses (those lasting less than 16 weeks) and for courses during summer and winterim. You can check these dates on MyBlugold CampS.

What is a "W"?

A “W” will appear on your transcript if you have withdrawn from a class after the drop deadline (for full-semester classes, the drop deadline is the end of the second week of classes). “W”s do not affect your GPA. Contact your advisor if you have questions about having a “W” on your transcript.

Always consult with your advisor if you are thinking of dropping all of your classes or leaving the university. They will discuss with you the process and options based on the time of the semester.

How do I find my catalog year?

Your catalog year is listed at the top of your degree audit under "Requirement Term." To view your degree audit, login to MyBlugold CampS, select the "Academic Progress" tile, and select "Degree Audit" from the left side of the page. When the page loads, click "view report as PDF".

Can I take fewer than 12 credits?

Be sure to talk to your advisor before deciding to drop below full time. Dropping below full time (12 credits for a regular semester) could cause problems in the following areas:

  • Athletic eligibility
  • Health insurance (if the student is covered under his/her parent's health insurance, full time enrollment is often required)
  • Veterans benefits
  • Financial Aid
  • Eligibility for the Dean's list
  • Scholarships

Please note: International students on a J-1 or F1 visa cannot take less than 12 credits without special permissions for a reduced course load.  Please see the following information on the Center for International Education’s website:  and follow that process before considering going below full time status. 

How do I find a "what if" degree audit?

From the homepage in MyBlugold CampS, click on the "Academic Progress" tile and select "Degree Audit - What If"" from the left side of the page.

How do I find my exam schedule?

The preliminary finals schedule is available on the Registrar's web site.

Once final exam schedules are determined, you will be able to find your exact exam schedule in MyBlugold CampS. From the homepage, select the "Manage Classes" tile and select "View My Exam Schedule" from the left side of the page.

How do I calculate my GPA?

There is an online GPA calculator that calculates your semester GPA and can help you figure out what grades you have to get to raise your GPA. You can find your GPA, both term and cumulative, in CampS in your unofficial transcript.  Go to the "Academic Records" tile, click "View Unofficial Transcript", click the submit button and your GPA will be at the bottom of the PDF.

GPA calculator


Should I take a class S/U?

That is a complicated question. It is best to talk to your advisor before taking a course S/U; some majors have restrictions. The options of S/U registration is open only to students with sophomore standing or above and a resident GPA of 2.00 or higher. The only exception: any student may enroll in a physical activity course on the S/U basis.

How do I obtain enrollment verification?

You can request enrollment verification through the Registrar's site.

How do I change my major or declare a second program?

To change your major or add another program to your current plan, e-mail your current advisor and include the new major you are thinking of changing to or adding.  They can advise you on the next steps and/or help you process your major change.

We want to hear from you

Please enter your name

Please enter a valid email address

Please enter a valid phone number

Please enter a message