UW-Eau Claire will host online placement exams in Math (Test A), English, and World Languages (French, German, Spanish) for students who are admitted for the Fall 2024 semester. Students will be able to sign up for and take these exams beginning March 15th at the Center for Placement Testing website.
Math and English exams are required of all students regardless of prior coursework, and if you've taken two or more years of a world language, that exam is also required. You will be taking the tests online, unproctored, and at your own convenience. It is crucial that you complete your exams before your advising + registration appointment during orientation.
IMPORTANT: Regarding the math exam:
- Be sure to sign up for 'Test A' (the online option): You will have options to choose from Test A or Test B when registering. Be sure to choose Test A for UW-Eau Claire when selecting your Math exam.
- Math placement is based on a combination of your test scores and other measures of your math readiness (including High School GPA, Math ACT score if submitted etc.)
- We can best support your success in math if you are placed into the correct class. That is why it is vital that all students do their own work and do their best work on placement exams. When this is not the case, students may be "mis-placed" which can lead to the need to change math classes during the semester or to unnecessary difficulty in successfully completing a math class.
Special Accommodations - do not register online: If you request to take the placement tests under non-standard conditions due to a disability, please do not sign up online. Instead, go to UW Center for Placement Testing and follow the instructions to email your information to Tim O'Connor and begin the accommodation process.
PLEASE NOTE: If you have also been admitted to or are considering another UW System institution, please check that specific campus website for test recommendations, as they could differ slightly. If you do not have access to a computer/internet, accommodations can be made for paper/pencil testing on campus.
How to register for and take your placement exams.
Once in this site, you will need to log in with your UWEC campus credentials to complete the registration form before taking the exam. Within two business days of registering (but more likely within a few minutes), you will receive an email from Meazure Learning with a username and password for accessing the exams.
Upon completing an exam, you must submit it in order for us to receive your scores. If you forget to submit your exam, you should be able to log back into the system to submit.
Please note: It takes at least one week for tests to be scored and sent to UW-Eau Claire. Because you'll be participating in orientation, we encourage you to take your online placement exams at least 2 weeks prior to your scheduled advising + registration appointment during your orientation day, so you can be well prepared for your meeting and to select classes.
Which test(s) do I need to take?
As a reminder, all students should take the English test and the Math test (Test A). If you have had two years or more of high school French, German or Spanish, take the appropriate placement exam for that language as well. Students are required to take these exams regardless of any prior coursework or test scores.
We also offer these additional placement exams for interested students:
- Japanese and Chinese Placement exams are available through Canvas, our online learning portal. Students will need to e-mail email@example.com to request access to either course to complete these exams.
- Students will need to complete an eform to request an American Sign Language (ASL) placement exam with our CSD department.
Is there a fee?
Yes, there is a one time fee of $45, but you will pay this with your fall tuition bill payment - you will not need to pay for anything upfront during the time of registration for these exams.
This fee covers costs that UW-Eau Claire is required to pay to the Center for Placement Testing to facilitate placement exams for our institution.
If you have questions about our testing options, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.