Congratulations on being admitted to UW-Eau Claire! We are excited to officially welcome you to the Blugold family. This year, we’re prepared to provide the best virtual experience to help you learn all about life as a Blugold, meet with an academic advisor to plan out your first-semester schedule, and register for classes. This online Orientation is a required experience.
Your first action step is to complete your electronic registration for online New Student Orientation. Along with setting you up for the digital delivery of Orientation materials and information, this registration process will reserve your spot for class registration and connect you with an expert academic advisor. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to get started with your online Orientation registration instructions.
Blugold Welcome kicks off the academic year during the fall semester move-in weekend with a variety of welcoming activities and several social get-togethers. View the schedule for upcoming activities and events, as well as the information you'll need to access each one!
“Community Conversations” during Online Orientation 2020
At UW-Eau Claire, we value diversity and are so grateful to have students from many backgrounds, cultures and ethnicities. We are proud of the Office of Multicultural Affairs (OMA), which provides a space for students of color to truly be themselves through creating spaces in which they can be be regular students, where they can openly express their cultural heritage and traditions, and where they can critically analyze their multiple identities. This summer, we hosted “community conversations,” where new Blugolds and their families from various cultural groups had a chance to learn about what OMA has available for them and to ask questions of staff, students and alumni. Even if you weren’t able to attend a session, we hope that you connect with us! Contact email@example.com or 715-836-3367 for more information.
I love being a Blugold because from the minute I started my freshman year, the Eau Claire campus felt like home! The professors here at UWEC want students to succeed, and I have felt supported and challenged to be the best student I can be. There are so many opportunities being a Blugold has to offer, and I have taken full advantage of them — studying abroad, becoming an RA, and volunteering as a campus ambassador.
Orientation Event Checklist
1) Finish your new student checklist. Have you paid for your enrollment and housing deposits? Applied for financial aid? Filled out required forms? View your progress here.
2) Activate your UW-Eau Claire account. If you have not activated your UW-Eau Claire account, or need to reset your password, visit myusername.uwec.edu. You will need your username and Campus ID, which can be found in your admit letter or application acknowledgment email.
Be sure to have your password ready to access Orientation. This is a must-have item, so make sure it works as soon as possible.
3) Complete your placement tests. All students are required to take placement tests.
These are online, not proctored, and free of charge. Register for and complete the exams here. Students must use their UWEC email account to register for the placement tests.
- You will need to log in with your campus credentials to complete the registration form before taking the exam. Within two business days of registering (but more likely within a few minutes), you will receive an email from Scantron with a username and password for accessing the exams.
- We recommend everyone take the Math and English tests, and if you have had two or more years of French, German or Spanish, the Language test. Click here for more information regarding your placement test.
- Please note that it takes about one week for tests to be scored and sent to UW-Eau Claire. We highly recommend that you take them as soon as you can.
This is an opportunity to take a proctored test in Math, English or World Languages (French, German or Spanish) on-campus. You must pre-register to take these exams. Check-in begins at 11:45am with testing starting at 12:00pm.
Students must bring:
- A photo ID
- #2 pencils and erasers
- A non-graphing calculator if taking the Math placement test
Math and English are 90-minute tests, World Languages are 60-minute tests, you must stay the entire test time. One test is offered per day per student. If you want to take multiple tests and Math is one of them, register for Math at this time.
Face masks must be worn at all times and social distancing will be practiced during the test.
Placement tests will be given standard time. If you need accommodations, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- August 15: https://uwec.joinhandshake.com/events/523863
- August 22: https://uwec.joinhandshake.com/events/525394
- August 26: https://uwec.joinhandshake.com/events/526054
- August 27: https://uwec.joinhandshake.com/events/526055
- August 28: https://uwec.joinhandshake.com/events/526056
4) Complete the Pre-Orientation Module. All modules for Online Orientation can be found in Canvas, UWEC’s primary educational platform. You will regularly use Canvas throughout your time at UWEC, so becoming familiar with the platform now will be helpful for you this fall.
- The Pre-Orientation Module is now available, and needs to be completed before your scheduled orientation date. In this module, you’ll access information on how to complete important academic holds, which must be done before your scheduled advising appointment on your day of orientation. Please plan ahead to access this module, as it takes about 1.5 hours in total to complete. You received an email about how to access the module on June 1st.
- Technology Considerations:
- To access your online orientation materials, you’ll need to have access to wifi and a computer. While tablets and phones can also work, there are some platforms that we use that may not be as compatible with tablets/phones.
- If you have any questions or concerns about your technology access, please reach out to us as soon as possible for support. You can email us at email@example.com and we’ll get back to you promptly with options to ensure a positive virtual experience.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you'd like to get connected with our translation resources.
Yog koj xav toob kas ntsib peb cov neeg txhais lug, thov koj email tuaj rau peb: email@example.com.
Por favor envié un email a firstname.lastname@example.org si desea conectarse con nuestros recursos de traducción.
5) Complete the Day-Of Orientation Module. On your selected date of Online Orientation, please complete the Day-Of Orientation Module in Canvas and participate in our ongoing Virtual Resource Fair. Students are required to log in to Canvas at 8:30 am CST on the day of Orientation to view the Chancellor’s welcome and get started with the events for that day. The Day-Of Orientation Module includes:
- A welcome from the Chancellor.
- A mandatory scheduled appointment with an academic advisor to go over academic planning and develop a fall class schedule. You can expect an email from your Academic Advisor a couple of days prior to your orientation date with information on how to access the appointment via Microsoft Teams and to get prepared for your virtual appointment. Remember to fill out your Academic Planning Questionnaire ahead of your appointment, noting any college courses you’re taking or have taken, and your AP/IB credits.
- Mac Users: Microsoft Teams does not work well when using Safari. We recommend using a different browser, such as Google Chrome.
- Please login using your UWEC email when accessing Microsoft Teams.
- An opportunity to chat live with an orientation assistant to ask any questions about student life, the transition to college, etc. Orientation Assistants are fellow students at UW-Eau Claire and are great connections to have going into your first year!
- The chance to explore various campus resources virtually and get your questions answered.
- Time to connect via live sessions with campus partners. These will be hosted throughout the days and weeks of orientation.
6) Check your email. It's important to routinely check your UWEC email, as it is the main way faculty and staff will communicate with you. You can expect to receive information about move-in, Blugold Welcome, ways to get prepared for the semester, and more.
7) Join us for live events throughout the summer. We’ll continue to stay connected through social media, fun social events for both students and parents, resource webinars, further trainings and much more. Please regularly check your UWEC email as well as the Navigate Student app to stay informed.
8) Submit your feedback. If you've already participated in an Orientation event, fill out this quick survey to give us your feedback!
Blugolds are constantly learning — in and out of the classroom — about themselves and the world around them. UW-Eau Claire helps you discover what you love to do and what defines you, then gives you the tools and opportunities to find a place in the world to make your mark.
Apps for Blugolds
UW-Eau Claire offers three free apps to all Blugolds, each offering unique benefits and helpful ways for you to stay connected.
Navigate Student | Navigate includes important reminders, to-do's, schedules and upcoming deadlines specific to you. It is also the primary way to schedule appointments with faculty and staff.
Blugold Connect | Blugold Connect helps you explore more than 230 UWEC student clubs, organizations and programs — and is your first step in getting involved and meeting other students that share your interests.
Handshake | Used heavily by our Career Center and employer partners, Handshake allows you to explore work-study opportunities, discover internships, apply for jobs, and read company reviews — all in one spot.
Need help? We're here! Please email email@example.com and someone will get back to you shortly.