Congratulations on being admitted to UW-Eau Claire! We are excited to officially welcome you to the Blugold family. This year, we’re prepared to provide the best virtual experience to help you learn all about life as a Blugold, meet with an academic advisor to plan out your first-semester schedule, and register for classes. This online Orientation is a required experience.
Your first action step is to complete your electronic registration for online New Student Orientation on Monday, January 25th. Along with setting you up for the digital delivery of Orientation materials and information, this registration process will reserve your spot for class registration and connect you with an expert academic advisor.
I love being a Blugold because from the minute I started my freshman year, the Eau Claire campus felt like home! The professors here at UWEC want students to succeed, and I have felt supported and challenged to be the best student I can be. There are so many opportunities being a Blugold has to offer, and I have taken full advantage of them — studying abroad, becoming an RA, and volunteering as a campus ambassador.
Orientation Event Checklist
1) Finish your new student checklist. Have you paid for your enrollment and housing deposits? Applied for financial aid? Filled out required forms? View your progress here.
2) Activate your UW-Eau Claire account. If you have not activated your UW-Eau Claire account, or need to reset your password, visit myusername.uwec.edu. You will need your username and Campus ID, which can be found in your admit letter or application acknowledgment email. Be sure to have your password ready to access Orientation. This is a must-have item, so make sure it works as soon as possible.
3) Complete your placement tests. All students are required to take placement tests, and we currently have both in-person and online options for placement testing. Our online tests are not proctored and free of charge. Students must register for (using your UWEC email) and complete the exams here.
- You will need to log in with your campus credentials to complete the registration form before taking the exam. Within two business days of registering (but more likely within a few minutes), you will receive an email from Scantron with a username and password for accessing the exams.
- We recommend everyone take the Math and English tests, and if you have had two or more years of French, German or Spanish, the Language test. Click here for more information regarding your placement test.
- Please note that it takes about one week for tests to be scored and sent to UW-Eau Claire. We highly recommend that you take them as soon as you can.
If you have questions about our in-person testing options, would like to know more, or need accommodations, please contact email@example.com.
4) Complete your Pre-Orientation Program Online (via Canvas). Your virtual orientation experience will be hosted through Canvas, UWEC’s primary educational platform. You will regularly use Canvas throughout your time at UWEC, so becoming familiar with the platform now will be helpful for you. This pre-orientation program (Modules #1-4 in Canvas) must be completed before your scheduled date of Orientation.
- For Spring 2021 Incoming Blugolds, the Pre-Orientation Program will become available on January 18, 2021, and you’ll receive an email (to your UWEC account) with more details leading up to that date.
- To access your online orientation, you’ll need to have access to wifi and a computer. While tablets and phones can also work, there are some platforms that we use that may not be as compatible with tablets/phones.
- If you have any questions or concerns about your technology access before and during Online Orientation, please reach out to us as soon as possible for support. You can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll get back to you promptly with options to ensure a positive virtual experience.
5) Complete the Day of Orientation Program Online (via Canvas). On your official date of Online Orientation, please access and complete the Day-Of Orientation Program (Module #5) in Canvas. Your Orientation Day is designed to be a full-day event, so please plan accordingly. Throughout the program, there will be opportunities for 1-on-1 conversations with your academic advisor, connection events with current and future Blugolds, virtual resource fairs, live sessions with campus departments, virtual open houses and tours, and much more! Students are required to log in to Canvas at 8:30 am CST on the day of Orientation to view the Chancellor’s welcome and get started with the events for that day.
6) Check your email. It's important to routinely check your UWEC email, as it is the main way faculty and staff will communicate with you. You can expect to receive information about move-in, upcoming campus events, ways to get prepared for the semester, and more.
7) Download the Blugold Protocol App. All UW-Eau Claire students are required to monitor their health every day through the Blugold Protocol application. The mobile app, which was developed specifically for UW-Eau Claire, is HIPAA-compliant and all information gathered through the app is secure.
- All Blugolds are required to download the app and log their symptoms and temperature daily; this includes weekends and holidays throughout the 2020-21 academic year.
Blugolds are constantly learning — in and out of the classroom — about themselves and the world around them. UW-Eau Claire helps you discover what you love to do and what defines you, then gives you the tools and opportunities to find a place in the world to make your mark.
Apps for Blugolds
UW-Eau Claire offers three free apps to all Blugolds, each offering unique benefits and helpful ways for you to stay connected.
Navigate Student | Navigate includes important reminders, to-do's, schedules and upcoming deadlines specific to you. It is also the primary way to schedule appointments with faculty and staff.
Blugold Connect | Blugold Connect helps you explore more than 230 UWEC student clubs, organizations and programs — and is your first step in getting involved and meeting other students that share your interests.
Handshake | Used heavily by our Career Center and employer partners, Handshake allows you to explore work-study opportunities and part-time jobs, discover internships, apply for jobs, and read company reviews — all in one spot.
Need help? We're here! Please email email@example.com and someone will get back to you shortly.