print header

Common Academic Issues

Two professional advisers specialize in transfer issues: Katie Ritland Clouse and Erik Rotvold. Both are located in Schofield 226, (715) 836-3487, and are available to assist transfer students and their advisers.

Determining which Catalogue a student can use
Any student who has not been out of school for more than one semester can choose the UW-Eau Claire Catalogue for the year he/she started at the previous school, or for any year after that.

However, students must inform Degree Review, Schofield 128, of the Catalogue they plan to use. If they do not do so, they will receive a degree audit for the semester they started at UW-Eau Claire.

Transfer G.P.A.
Transfer students begin a new resident G.P.A. when they enroll at UW-Eau Claire. However, the transfer G.P.A. is still important, since it is combined with the resident G.P.A. to form the total G.P.A. The total G.P.A. is used:

  • To determine eligibility for graduation: a 2.0 total is required.
  • For acceptance into certain programs and courses, including Education, Nursing and Business

NOTE: If a course does not transfer as credit to UW-Eau Claire, then the grade is not counted in the transfer G.P.A. (remedial courses are included in the transfer G.P.A.)

Academic Standing

Students with their academic warning used: Transfer students who have ever been on probation at another university, but who now have a 2.0 G.P.A. or above are admitted in good standing, but are treated as if they have had academic warning at UW-Eau Claire. Therefore, if at any time in their enrollment at UW-Eau Claire they fail to meet the standards necessary for good standing, they will be placed on probation immediately, rather than academic warning.

Students on probation: Occasionally a transfer student is admitted on probation, usually because of a G.P.A. below a 2.0. These students must obtain a 2.0 during their first semester, or they are suspended.

If the student achieves good standing, but later returns to negative academic standing at UW-Eau Claire, he/she will be placed on probation again, not Academic Warning (see Academic Policies section).

Orientation and Registration for Transfer Students
All transfer students must attend an Orientation and meet with an adviser prior to registering for courses. There will be a registration hold until they attend one of these sessions that are held weekly starting a week prior to the start of priority registration. They can register from on or off campus via the web once they have attended Orientation and obtained their PAC from an adviser.

For more information about transfer orientation, contact New Student Orientation, 715-836-5053.

Placement testing and prerequisites for English, foreign languages and mathematics:
Prerequisites are enforced for transfer students the same way as they are for our continuing students. They must have a math, foreign language or English placement test on file (or an appropriate ACT) or have the prerequisite course in order to register for a course.

The following problems often arise for transfer students:

  • Students who have taken UW System placement tests, but whose scores do not show up on MyBlugold CampS should come to Academic Testing, 715-836-5522, (Schofield 226). We are usually able to obtain their scores from a central database.
  • Placement tests from outside of the UW System are not acceptable. A student would have to take UW System placement tests.

Advanced Placement examinations
Credit received by any type of credit by examination does not automatically transfer to UW-Eau Claire. In the case of Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate or CLEP examinations, a student must take a copy of their score report to Academic Testing, Schofield 226 or contact the Advanced Placement program to have the score sent.

If the student needs the course credit received through AP as a prerequisite the student can take the transcript from the previous school to the appropriate department and obtain a prerequisite override.

Associate Degree from UW-System schools and General Education
Under UW System policy, students who have completed an Associate Degree at a UW System school have automatically met the General Education Requirements at UW-Eau Claire. However, they still need to meet the following requirements:

  • Competencies
  • Proficiencies
  • College, School, and major specific G.E. requirements. For information on how this applies to a particular College or program, contact the Dean’s office or Degree Review.

Two Year College Transfers - Non UW System Schools
We will accept 72 credits from any accredited community college or from the college parallel programs of the Wisconsin Technical Colleges.

We also accept general education coursework in communications, behavioral sciences, social sciences, mathematics and natural sciences from WTCS programs leading to an applied associate degree.

Minnesota Technical Colleges: General Education courses taken at a Minnesota Technical college that would have transferred to the University of Minnesota are accepted here.  If they are not appearing on your transfer evaluation, contact the Admissions Office.

Special provisions for students transferring from within the UW System
UW System schools have agreed to a number of policies regarding students transferring within the System. These policies do not apply to students transferring from outside the system. Unfortunately, not all of these policies can be checked when a transfer evaluation is done. A student must notify Degree Review in the Registrar’s Office, Schofield 128, to have their record updated.

Diversity courses: Courses that meet the ethnic studies (cultural diversity requirement) at another System School will meet our requirement.

General Education courses: Courses that counted as General Education at a previous UW System school must be counted as G.E. here. If the course equivalency is for a course that is not G.E., (Art 107, for example), the student can use a petition form to have it count as G.E.

General Education categories: A G.E. course is normally applied in the same category as similar UW-Eau Claire courses. However, if the student took it to meet a different G.E. category (ex.: History is sometimes a Social Science at Madison), the student can use it to fulfill the original category by documenting the original designation for the Registrar.

Course equivalencies: Upon their request (to Degree Review), students may transfer a course according to the course equivalency in effect when the course was taken instead of the current equivalency. (They must provide documentation to the registrar).

Upper division designation: If a course taken at a UW System institution has an upper division transfer equivalency here, and if UW-Eau Claire freshmen and/or sophomores are allowed to enroll for the equivalent course, the student will be awarded upper division credit, even if the course was lower division at the original institution.

Potential Problems to look for on all transfer evaluations (not just UW System)
Because of the way courses are noted on transcripts, student transfer evaluations are not always done in a way most beneficial to students. In addition to “consults” and “defers,” the following are a list of common problems:

  • Lab courses that do not have the lab designation: if a course transfers as a science elective (either a departmental elective or a G.E. II elective), it needs to have the lab designation in order to meet this requirement. If lab courses are not noted accurately, the student should go to the appropriate department chair.
  • Cultural diversity requirements: Courses that do not transfer with a UW-Eau Claire course equivalent, but that covered content related to Native-Americans, African Americans, Asians or Hispanics, can often be used to satisfy the cultural diversity requirement. The student will need to file a petition and have it signed by the school/college that would have offered the course.
  • Courses that were taken as part of General Education at a previous school, but transfer as non-G.E. (either electives or courses that are not G.E. here) can often be used for G.E. A student should talk with his/her adviser and file a petition if appropriate.
  • G.E. IV electives: Courses that transfer in as G.E. IV electives require a Waiver/substitution form to be used for one of the five sub-categories.

REMEMBER: A student always has the right to appeal a transfer evaluation.