Student Health Service provides a variety of resources to serve the needs of students. In the list below we have provided links to sites offering a wide range of information on health issues.
If you need information for a class project, including educational brochures, please contact our Health Educators at 715-836-5110.
General Medical Websites
Alcohol & Drugs
- UW-Eau Claire Counseling Service
- Alcohol & Mental Health Screening Tool
- Alcoholics Anonymous
- National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism
- Addiction Resource - College and Drug Use
- SAMHSA: Find Treatment
- Understanding Substance Abuse: Fraternities
- Parent Handbook for talking to your student about Alcohol
Student Health Services works closely with Counseling Services to ensure patient's mental health needs are being met. Students may be referred to counseling from a SHS provider or may directly contact Counseling Services.
If you are experiencing any COVID-19 symptoms, or had a potential exposure, you are encouraged to contact Student Health Service at 715-836-5075 or COVIDinfo@uwec.edu.
Per CDC - Symptoms may appear 2-14 days after exposure to the virus. People with these symptoms may have COVID-19:
- Fever or chills
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
- Muscle or body aches
- New loss of taste or smell
- Sore throat
- Congestion or runny nose
- Nausea or vomiting
This list does not include all possible symptoms of COVID-19.
Additional resources regarding COVID-19:
Student Health Service does not provide dental care on campus. Below are options for seeking dental care in the Eau Claire/Wisconsin.
SHS is currently working with Sodexo's regional dietitian, Lucas Flaherty, RDN, LDN. He is based out of Milwaukee and available for virtual consultation (at no cost to students). Lucas' approach to healthy eating does not revolve around diets or calorie counting. His job as a dietitian is to simplify the way we think about food and how to use it in the most therapeutic ways.
Please contact him at Lucas.Flaherty@sodexo.com regarding any of the following nutritional service questions/concerns:
- Healthy Eating
- Weight Management
- Dietary Restrictions
- Food Allergies
- Sports Performance & Fitness
- Vegetarian and Vegan Nutrition
- Dining Hall Navigation
- Diet Modifications/Changes
With the ever-increasing cost of college education, we are aware that students may have difficulty obtaining enough food to met their needs. UWEC works with Campus Harvest food pantry to help with supplemental food assistance.
Student Health Service strives to ensure students are well-informed and understand their treatment plan following an appointment. We have interpreting services available upon request and would be happy to help facilitate the use of this service.
Student Health Service staff want to ensure all students feel welcome and able to seek out care at our clinic. We strive to ensure a safe, open, and inclusive environment and encourage students to interact with our team to help improve their overall care. We also encourage students to utilize UW-Eau Claire's on campus resources through the Gender Sexuality and Resource Center (link below).
- UWEC - Gender & Sexuality Resource Center
- CDC - LGBT Health
- Health & Well-being for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Americans (U.S. Department of Health & Human Services)
- National LGBT Health Education Center - Fenway Health
Transgender Health Appointments
What Student Health Service can offer for Transgender Students
Appointments can include acute concerns, preventative screening, mental health care, sexual health screening, and initiation of hormone replacement therapy. To make an appointment please call SHS at 715-863-4311.
Hormone Replacement Therapy
If you are interested in starting hormone therapy, or have questions about starting HRT, please call to schedule an appointment to discuss with one of our providers.
Getting Started on HRT
· Prior to starting hormones, students will need at least three appointments with an SHS provider. Appointments will be one month apart.
· Topics that will be discussed at that appointments include, medical history, mental health history, expectations of hormone therapy, risks and benefits of the medication, cost and availability of the medication, timeline and cost of lab work and preventative care
· Will also discuss and get patient connected with Counseling Service for at least one appointment
· Baseline labs will be completed prior to starting HRT medication
· Labs will be completed on a routine basis depending on the patient and medication after starting HRT
· Cost of lab work can range from $10-$30
Student Health Service offers a wide range of mental health-related services including initial mental health evaluations, ongoing care and evaluation, medication initiation and management, and facilitation of as related-campus services like counseling, Dean of Students office, Services for Students with Disabilities.
Service include treatment of:
Mood Disorders including Depression
Additional resources can be found below:
- UW-Eau Claire Counseling Services
- National Institute of Mental Health
- NAMI (National Alliance for the Mentally Ill)
- UW Mental Health Support 24/7 (via Mantra) at 1-888-531-2142
- Crisis Text Line: Text HOPE to 741741
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: Phone 988 OR 1-800-273-8255 (TALK).
Northwest Connections: Phone 1-800-552-6642
- Mental Health & Alcohol and Other Drugs: 1-888-552-6642
- Trevor Project (LGBTQIA+) Lifeline: 1-866-488-7386
- Trans Lifeline: 1-877-565-8860
- Veterans Crisis Line: 1-800-273-8255
Local Hospitals/ERs (near campus) -
- Marshfield Clinic ER: 2310 Craig Rd; Phone 715-858-8100
- Mayo Clinic Health Systems ER: 1221 Whipple St; Phone 715-834-3311
- Sacred Heart Hospital ER: 900 West Clairemont; Phone 715-717-4121
Take Kognito - An interactive role-play simulation for students that builds awareness, knowledge, and skills about mental health and suicide prevention, and prepares users to lead real-life conversations with fellow students in distress and connect them with support.
- National Sexual Assault Hotline: 1-800-656-4673
- UW-Eau Claire CASA (Center for Awareness of Sexual Assault)
- Date Rape drugs (UWEC Police)
- Wisconsin Coalition Against Sexual Assault (WCASA)
- UW-Eau Claire Policies: Sexual Assault
Sexuality & Health
- Planned Parenthood
- Go Ask Alice! (Columbia University Q and A site)
- Contraceptive Information from Student Health Service (Scroll down to "Services provided")
- Emergency Contraception
- Lesbian & Bisexual Health (CDC)
- HPV and Vaccine Information (CDC)
- A Woman's Touch Sexuality Resource Center (based in Madison, Wisconsin)
- Society for Women's Health Research
Stress & Relaxation
Students with Disabilities
Each student will bring unique life experiences to UWEC. Some of the these experiences may be due to mental or physical disabilities. Student Health Services works closely with the SSD (Services for Students with Disabilities) Office to ensure students are allowed equal access and accommodations to meet their specific needs.
Vaping & Tobacco
Pregnancy - Campus Resources
Student Health Service | UW-Eau Claire: (715) 836-5360
Counseling Services | UW-Eau Claire: (715) 836-5521 | https://uwec.edu/counseling-services/
Pregnant, Expecting and Parenting Students | UW-Eau Claire: (715) 836-2387 | Pregnant, Expecting and Parenting Students | UW-Eau Claire (uwec.edu)
Pregnancy - Prenatal Care
Marshfield Clinic - Pregnancy: (866) 520-2510
Mayo Clinic Health System (Eau Claire) - Prenatal Care: (715) 838-5222
OakLeaf Clinics (Eau Claire) - Obstetrics and Gynecology: (715) 836-9242
Prevea Obstetrics - Pregnancy Care and Childbirth: (888) 277-3832
*This is not an all-inclusive list. Consider contacting your insurance carrier for in-network options that would be covered by your health insurance.
Pregnancy - Assistance, Options, and Support
BadgerCare Plus | Wisconsin Department of Health Services: (800) 362-3002
Helps low-income children, pregnant individuals, and adults in Wisconsin.
City of Eau Claire - Family Planning Clinic: (715) 839-6988
Healthy Beginnings Plus Program provides support and education to pregnant women, helps with health care needs, and provides information on resources and services in the county.
Eau Claire County WIC: (715) 839-5051
Provides families with healthy food, nutrition education, breastfeeding support, and access to many other health services.
Pregnancy Options and Support
Comprehensive directory of trusted and verified abortion service providers in the United States.
Adoptions of Wisconsin, (608) 821-8220
Full service, licensed adoption agency, providing adoption services throughout Wisconsin
All-Options Pregnancy Resource Center: (715) 222-0777
Support for pregnancy, parenting, abortion, and adoption.
Apple Pregnancy Care Center - Eau Claire, Wisconsin: (715) 834-7734
Offering pregnancy testing, pregnancy options, education, and support
National Abortion Federation Hotline, 800-772-9100
Free, anonymous, unbiased information about abortion and other pregnancy options.
Pregnancy Options Workbook
Guide for those facing a pregnancy decision including adoption, parenting, and abortion.
EXHALE After-Abortion Talkline, 866-4-EXHALE
Post abortion counseling.
Planned Parenthood - Eau Claire Health Center: (715) 833-2279
Pregnancy testing and options.
Up-to-date information on how people in the U.S. can access at-home abortion pills online.
Options for Women Menomonie - Standing With You: (715) 222-0777
Help for women facing an unplanned or unintentional pregnancy.
Eau Claire - Catholic Charities: (888) 212-4357
Licensed, accredited, nonprofit agency providing services to all faiths including pregnancy and adoption support.