The Commencement Student Speaker Committee invites all undergraduate and graduate students eligible for graduation to apply to deliver the student address at the ceremonies. Providing the student address during the ceremony is an opportunity for the selected students to reflect upon their time as a Blugold, share inspiration and encouragement, and convey a message for the future.
Eligible students must be graduating in the semester of submission, be in good academic standing, and available to attend the ceremony in-person.
- Guidelines for submission of manuscripts are as follows:
- When read at a normal speaking rate, the "Reflections" should be no longer than four minutes.
- Give your speech a title.
- Manuscripts must be clearly typed.
- No two-person, shared speeches will be considered.
- Name, telephone number, email address, college and title of speech should be included on in your submission.
- Deadline for submission of manuscripts is Friday, November 18, 2022.
- Email manuscript to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Judging of the manuscripts will be based on the following criteria:
- Development of a central theme.
- Relevance to all listeners and to the commencement occasion.
- Originality of ideas.
- Appropriateness of language and style.
Manuscripts will be presented orally before a screening committee. Finalists will be selected and invited to speak at their ceremony.