Weigh your options
Moving to off-campus housing is not a decision to be taken lightly. We urge students to think through these important considerations before signing a lease. Be sure to consider university housing options. We have near campus apartments and suite-style options to choose from after your first year as a Blugold.
Apartment-style options with amenities
UW-Eau Claire apartments or suite-style options can give you some of what you are looking for without the added inconvenience of working with off-campus landlords.
UWEC apartments provides you with a fully furnished apartment (including a full kitchen, dishwasher, washer/dryer unit) and building security, cable TV, internet and all utilities. You can experience apartment living while still getting the Blugold community and support of university-operated housing.
These living spaces even include an entire department dedicated to the maintenance and upkeep of your building.
Pros of living in non-UWEC housing
- Can be less expensive in terms of monthly rent.
- More space, perhaps private bedroom plus shared spaces.
- More privacy.
- Fewer rules, regulations and oversight.
- Preparation for life after college – independence, paying bills, cleaning and maintenance.
Cons of living in non-UWEC housing
- Hidden/unplanned costs: security deposit, first and last month's rent, utilities, furniture, appliances, internet, yard work/snow removal, parking.
- Less likely to stay involved on campus when living at a distance
- Having roommates and sharing responsibilities can bring conflicts.
- Not all landlords are equally helpful, reliable or trustworthy.
- Commuting to campus by car requires time and costs money if you elect to buy a parking permit.
- Full one-year lease required (vs. your choice of 9- or 12-month options).
- Potential hassle of finding a sub-leaser if plans change.
- All roommates on a lease are equally responsible. In other words, if your roommate doesn't pay rent, you're responsible for it; if your roommate damages property, you're also responsible for it.