Skip to main content

Explore the speech language pathology assistant (SLPA) certificate at UW-Eau Claire

Develop the skills and knowledge needed to earn the American Speech Language Hearing Association (ASHA) Speech-Language Pathology Certification (C-SLPA).

Designed for students seeking a bachelor's degree in communication sciences and disorders, the SLPA certificate gives you the opportunity to learn real-world clinical procedures as well as the roles and responsibilities of an SLPA. Graduates of the certificate leave with practical experience, including 100 hours of supervised clinical practice in an off-site clinical setting.

Why speech language pathology assistant (SLPA) at UW-Eau Claire?

Skill-building facilities. The Communication and Sciences Disorders department provides valuable clinical training experience while using some of the industry's latest technology. Our highly-equipped, on-campus lab includes 16 therapy rooms with direct observation facilities, two group treatment spaces, an assistive technology lab, and mobile speech, voice, and audiology equipment. Here you’ll work directly with clients of the Chippewa Valley community, boosting your confidence and building skills that will benefit you in your future career. 

Unique learning opportunities. The annual Chippewa Valley Aphasia Camp connects you directly with members of the community who have aphasia, a communication disorder caused by brain damage. Working closely with Mayo Clinic Health System, you'll gain incredible insight through the learn-by-doing mentality of the camp while fostering impactful relationships. Many graduates have described this experience as being a highlight of their university career.

Speech language pathology assistant (SLPA) certificate curriculum

Courses throughout the program will provide an introduction to psychology and behavior analysis, clinical procedures and facilitating communication. Learn how to prepare goals and objectives, write reports, and use clinical equipment and materials. Courses provide education around disability and education law, research, family/parent roles, cultural diversity and assistive technology. 

What classes do speech language pathology assistant (SLPA) students take?

Your classes may cover topics like:

Learn more about the speech language pathology assistant (SLPA) certificate in the UWEC catalog.

Application information

Admission requirements

Communication and sciences disorder majors are welcome to apply for the SLPA certificate. The following items are needed for admission:

Learn more about UWEC

We'll send you additional information about our campus and programs after you submit this form. You'll also have the chance to tell us more about yourself and your interests.

*Required field

Related programs at UW-Eau Claire

Thinking about becoming an SLPA? Here are other programs you may be interested in exploring.

Department information

Photo of the Human Sciences and Disorders building

Communication Sciences and Disorders

Human Sciences and Services 112
239 Water Street
Eau Claire, WI 54703
Visit the Communication Sciences and Disorders department website