In November 2013, the University of Wisconsin System awarded UW-Eau Claire a $451,000 Economic Development Incentive Grant to create a Responsible Mining Initiative (RMI). This grant was awarded to prepare highly qualified graduates for work in the mining industry, the environmental consulting industry, and in regulatory agencies such as the DNR. The “Responsibility” aspect of the RMI is largely built on the foundation of hydrogeology. In addition, students are conducting student-faculty research on many applied research topics in geology, hydrogeology, and environmental science.
RMI outcomes at a glance
- Annual scholarships & grants up to $41k from $2500
- Paid internships up from 1-2 per year to 11 paid interns in 2015
- Overall internships up as well, with 16 internships among the 2016 spring graduates
"Unimin is glad to be part of UWEC's Responsible Mining Initiative because it emphasizes mining in an environmentally responsible manner. This is exactly the kind of program we want to support." Chris Axness, plant manager, Unimin Corp.
- Badger Mining Corporation
- Barr Engineering
- Big Rock Exploration
- Chippewa Sands
- Fairmount Santrol
- Hoffman Construction
- Petroleum Connection
- Short, Elliot, & Hendrickson (SEH) Inc.
- Smart Sand Inc.
- Teck Resources
- Unimin Corporation
- Wisconsin Industrial Sand Association [WISA]