This internship advances the mission of the Center for Writing Excellence—to support all writers with their work at any stage of the creative process. To pursue the CWE Internship, you must first apply and be accepted to English 397: “Writing Center Theory and Practice.” Upon successful completion of ENGL 397, the paid internship begins.
An intern’s primary responsibilities include supporting writers across all disciplines and skill levels. Additionally, interns support wider campus outreach in the service of fostering writing and creative communication across campus.
- Weekly tutoring hours (a minimum of 4)
- Wider campus outreach including but not limited to orientations, resource fairs, and the annual National Day on Writing event
- Active participation in classroom support (e.g. workshops on topics such as peer review, the writing process, or drafting personal statements)
- Commitment to scholarship and creative works—with the opportunity to present research and writing at regional and national conferences
- Upholding day-to-day operations of CWE locations
The CWE seeks compassionate, supportive, and detail-oriented interns who have successfully completed the UWEC first-year writing requirement. Previous background with tutoring or mentoring is highly regarded, though not necessary for employment. In order to ensure ample time to grow within the internship, we prioritize applicants who will have at least two semesters remaining at UW-Eau Claire after completing ENGL 397.
In order to become paid interns, all selected applicants must successfully complete “ENGL 397: Writing Center Theory and Practice”—a 3-credit, semester-long course offered every fall semester. As part of this course, students receive service-learning credit by completing a three-hour/week (unpaid) practicum in the center during the Fall 2023 semester.
Required application materials
Submit to Dr. Jonathan Rylander at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please submit a PDF version of the documents below:
- A resume with the name of a faculty reference (at the bottom) we contact by phone
- A brief cover letter (2-3 paragraphs) detailing your interest in a CWE Internship
- A writing sample (at least 3 pages, double-spaced) from any class or creative work