We are SWAT, a group of peer health educators who work together talking to groups about health and wellness topics like stress management, healthy relationships, life balance, sexual health, nutrition, alcohol and more.
We are interactive and fun, and we are happy to tailor our materials to your group's needs. We also do health advocacy work on campus in an effort to make UW-Eau Claire's campus a healthier place for learning and living.
Back in 2015 we joined forces with CASE (the Center for Alcohol Studies and Education) to create a super team of peer health educators to address all health topics, including alcohol. We now operate as one team under the name of the Office of Health Promotion.
If you'd like to schedule one of our programs, it's best to submit your request at least two weeks in advance so we have enough time to prepare a quality presentation for your group.
- Nutrition 101: Wondering how to eat healthy at the caf? Need an interpreter to get through a nutrition label? This program provides basic nutrition information and involves interactive exercises which make the topic fun and interesting...and easy.
Sexual Health and Communication
- Request the Love Wagon! Looking for a fun way to get condoms to those who might need them? Request our Love Wagon! The Love Wagon is fully equipped with condoms and safer sex information. One of our knowledgeable peer health educators will be there to answer any questions that come up.
- Condom Bingo: A favorite in the residence halls, Condom Bingo is a fun & interactive way to learn about STI's, contraception, and other sex-related topics. We'll bring the condoms!
- Sexual Health Jeopardy! Looking for a fun way to learn about sex? Request Sexual Health Jeopardy! The categories are Sexuality, STIs, Condoms and Contraceptives.
- Healthy Relationships: Interested in learning more about what makes for a healthy relationship? This would be a great program for your group!
- Tobacco: The SWATeam has resources to aid tobacco cessation. Contact us when you are ready to quit!
- Interested in a smoke-free campus? Contact the SWATeam for more info!
- Making Healthy Lifestyle Changes! Have you been thinking about making a lifestyle change? Or do you want to explore an area in your life that may need some healthy adjusting? Then this is the presentation for you. We will share some strategies for making healthy lifestyle changes and share the “Stages of Change” model, as well as, have activities to begin creating opportunities for these important changes.
- Balanced Life: Do you view your daily life as a series of chores or fun challenges? Do you make time to do what you love? This is a great workshop for students wanting to learn how to be healthy and avoid burnout.
- Women's Health: Pick an aspect of women’s health that you would like to focus on and we can tailor a program just for you. Some possibilities include body image, healthy relationships, annual health exams, birth control and more.
- Social Norms: It may seem like everyone drinks a lot, but just how much do UW-Eau Claire students actually drink? Find out in this program!
- Alcohol Jeopardy: Learn about alcohol's effect on the body, facts about student drinking, and more!
- Alcohol and Athletic Performance: How does alcohol affect athletic performance? Find out how to manage your athletics and alcohol.
- Alcohol and Gender: Learn about drinking patterns of men and women, how the alcohol industry markets alcohol differently to men and women, and how alcohol affects male and female bodies differently. Transgender issues are also touched on in this program.
- Lifesavers Suicide Prevention Program (through the Suicide Prevention and Research Collaborative): delivered by two trained student peer educators the Lifesavers program is a 50 minute suicide awareness/prevention program. The program is designed to teach people how to recognize the symptoms that someone is struggling, how to ask about it and intervene, and last how to refer that person to help.
**To implement this program, we do need technology to be able to show a PowerPoint presentation.**
Didn't find what you were looking for? Contact the SWATeam to request a personalized program on the health/wellness topic of your choice or about having the Student Health Service staff (i.e. doctors, nurses, etc.) come to your class!