Skip to main content

Staying safe while on University business

UW-Eau Claire, the UW System and the State of Wisconsin...

It is critical to remember that driving any vehicle on university business is not a right but a privilege. Vehicle use entails a wide variety of related issues which affect the liability, property and workers compensation experience of the university.

Who must become an Authorized Driver?

Any employee, student or volunteer operating a vehicle on University business, including:

  • State or University owned or leased vehicles,
  • Rented vehicles, and
  • Personal vehicles

UW-Eau Claire does not have fleet vehicles. Please see the Firstsource + Travel page for information on vehicle rentals.

Register as an Authorized Driver

  • Employees & Students | review the information below and complete the steps
  • Volunteers | individuals without a UWEC login must obtain a Volunteer Vehicle Use Agreement Form by emailing

Please allow up to ten (10) business days for processing a Vehicle Use Authorization (VUA). Failure to follow the instructions below may delay processing for an additional ten (10) business days.

Minimum Requirements & Disqualification
Minimum Requirements

Drivers must:

  • Be eighteen (18) years of age,
  • Have a valid operator's license, and
  • Have a minimum of two (2) years licensed driving experience (not including instructional experience)

New residents to Wisconsin must obtain a Wisconsin driver's license within sixty (60) days of residence or thirty (30) days if the individual holds a CDL


A driver will NOT be authorized if they have any of the following:

  • Three (3) or more moving violations and/or at-fault accidents in the past two (2) years;
  • An Operating While Intoxicated (OWI) or Driving Under the Influence (DUI) citation within twelve (12) months;
  • An expired, suspended or revoked driver's license;
  • Possession of an occupational license only;
  • Less than two (2) years driving experience;
  • A license reinstated for less than one (1) year.

An automated email notification of denial will be made to both the driver and supervisor/faculty member if any of the above exist.

By requesting to be an Authorized Driver, the individual agrees to inform their supervisor and the Office of Risk Management, Safety & Sustainability whenever any negative change in the status of their driving record occurs. Any negative change in the status of an individual's driving record may result in the revocation of the privilege of driving on university business.

Before You Register

The following items are required to register and complete your Vehicle Use Agreement (VUA). Have them ready before you start.

  • Your UWEC login and password
  • Your driver’s license number
  • Your supervisor’s name and email address (or other local authority such as Department Chair, Advisor, etc).
  • The UDDS code for your department (e.g. UA000000, or UA for MSN campus + two digit Division code + two digit Dept code + two digit sub unit code). Ask your supervisor (or their supervisor) for appropriate UDDS code. You may also check your personal earning statement which states your UDDS code on top, middle box of the Statement following Department.
  • Entry of the UDDS code requires you first select “UW EAU CLAIRE” from the UW CAMPUS pick list. Then, click into the UW UDDS Code text box and type the letters UA followed by the six digits of your UDDS. Then click on the search icon, the drop down box will open and highlight your code. Click on the code to populate the field.
  • Out-of-state license holders will need to upload a PDF copy of their driving abstract/driving record and a legible copy of their license (front only) via the portal (there are two upload buttons for this purpose in the Out of State section). Note – When one scans the copies, rename to MVR DL respectively. Driving records may be obtain from the applicable Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) of the respective State. We only require the non-certified copy. We recommend obtaining records directly from respective State’s DMV as these are less expensive verses commercial record sites, but commercial sites are acceptable if all details are provided (driver’s identity, license number, license status, including their driving record with details on: traffic accidents, traffic violations, driver license suspensions, driver license revocations, driver license cancellations, etc.). Fees for obtaining one’s records are an allowable employment expense.

Register with the Department of Administration (DOA) Enterprise Fleet Management System.

Click here to register


Once the Vehicle Use Agreement (VUA) process is completed your record will be uploaded and reviewed against established driver authorization criteria by the UW–Eau Claire Office of Risk Management, Safety & Sustainability.

Applicants and supervisors will be notified of approval or denial within 10 business days via email.

All VUA's that do not have the proper attachments or have missing supervisor information will be denied until proper information is provided.

Verify an Authorized Driver

To view and verify an Authorized Driver, search the Enterprise Fleet Management System (EFMS) database.

How to Verify an Authorized Driver
  1. Access the EFMS database
  2. Select the "UW" employee type and the "UW-Eau Claire" campus
  3. Login with your UWEC login
  4. Select Reports in the top menu, then select Driver Summary
  5. Enter a name or UDDS, then select View Report
  6. Authorized Drivers will have:
    1. Active = Yes
    2. Status = Approved

Renew your Authorization

Student and out-of-state driver authorizations expire annually on May 31. Authorizations submitted between January 1 and May 31 will extend into the next year (June 1 - May 31).

Wisconsin License Holders

Contact Risk Management and mention that you would like to renew your Vehicle Use Authorization (VUA).

Click here to email Risk Management

Out-of-State License Holders
  1. Complete a new Notarized Form
    1. Be sure to sign in front of a notary. Notaries can be found at the Service Center in Davies, your local bank or courthouse. Do not pay for this service.
  2. Scan and save the notarized form and a copy of the front AND Back of your driver’s license.
  3. You can:
    1. email the documents to and mention that your previous VUA has expired and that you would like to renew your VUA, or
    2. Stop by the ASK Center in Schofield 230 M-F 7:45am to 4:30pm. Please make sure to tell the receptionist that these are for a VUA renewal.

Please allow for up to ten (10) days for processing (usually 1-3 days).

Driver Guidelines

Driving a Personally-Owned Vehicle

When driving a personal vehicle on university business:

  • The vehicle owner's personal coverage (insurance) is primary. The vehicle owner should contact their personal insurance company to determine how coverage will be applied for business use of their vehicle. 
  • Drivers require a valid driver's license.
  • Must have an active/approved electronic Vehicle Use Agreement (VUA) on file prior to departure. 
  • Drivers must be in compliance with any restrictions associated with that license when operating their personally owned vehicle on University business.
  • The State liability protection applies on an excess basis only and does not provide coverage for non-university vehicles.
  • Institutions may specify other requirements to use personally owned vehicles on University business and are responsible for communicating these requirements to those affected and the UWEC Risk Management and Safety Office.
Driving a University-Owned Vehicle
  • Coverage (insurance) is restricted to our University Self-Funded Liability Program.
  • Must have an active/approved electronic Vehicle Use Agreement (VUA) on file prior to departure. 
  • Ensure an vehicle accident kit is enclosed in the glove compartment prior to departure. 
  • Non-employee and non-agent passengers are not allowed to ride in vehicles being used on university business due to the additional liability exposure which they pose. 
Reporting an Accident or Damage
  • University Owned Vehicle – In the event of an accident call the appropriate police department. Check the glove box for a vehicle accident kit and follow the instructions.

Notify the Risk Management and Safety as soon as possible. Complete the Vehicle Accident/Incident Report Form. Submit the form to Risk Management and Safety located in the ASK Center Schofield 230.

Appropriate & Inappropriate Vehicle Use

Examples of appropriate use of a university owned, leased, rented, or personal vehicle are:

  1. Field trips that are for educational purposes and have on-site supervision by a UW-Eau Claire employee.
  2. Education programs that require training to be taken outside of the Eau Claire area and are course-required. (This would not include students who are required to train at some other site all day, i.e. student teaching, internships and coops).
  3. Business errands for a department.
  4. Conferences, meetings, events which are university-related.
  5. Research under the direct supervision of a principal investigator or instructor, (Note #1 below for exceptions.)
  6. Volunteer programs that are under the direct supervision of the university, the program provides substantial benefit to the university, and where an agent agreement has been approved by Risk Management and Safety.
  7. Student organization trips when the purpose fits the mission of the University.

Examples of inappropriate use of a university owned, leased, rented, or personal vehicle are:

  1. Individual research projects or course work primarily for the personal benefit of a student working toward an undergraduate or advanced degree.
  2. Field trips that do not have on-site supervision.
  3. Fraternity or Sorority business trips.
  4. Student organization trips that are not related to the mission of the university.
Resources & Policies
  • Enterprise Fleet Management System Login to register or verify an Authorized Driver
  • Firstsource + Travel Support Team Travel may be essential to your university experience. We're here to assist you with planning and reimbursement questions.
  • We want to hear from you

    Please enter your name

    Please enter a valid email address

    Please enter a valid phone number

    Please enter a message