Mary Jordan Meiser, Professor Emerita Retired 2003
I came to UWEC as a specialist in composition for the newly- formed Educational Opportunity Program; co-coordinator of the Academic Skills Center; taught developmental composition courses in the English Department.
Following a Masters and Doctorate from Harvard University (Applied Linguistics/Education), I joined the English Department faculty as Director of Composition.
- Specialist in the theory and practice of writing, first and second language development, teacher preparation, English Language Arts grades 6-12 and teaching writing in grades 1-6.
- Co-author (with former dept. member Professor Rhoda Maxwell) of five college textbooks for teaching English Language Arts grades 6-12: Teaching English in Middle and Secondary Schools (5 editions); Author of two college textbooks for developmental composition: Good Writing! (2 editions) Author: Teaching Writing: A Guide for Teachers of Hmong and other ESL Students
- Member of the WI Department of Public Instruction Task Forces in English Language Arts K-12; consultant/writer for the Task Force on Standards/Assessment K-12; co-author: Guide to Curriculum Planning in English Language Arts (Composition, English as a Second Language, American Dialects)
- Past president of the Wisconsin Council of Teachers of English
- Consultant/In-service State of Wisconsin School Districts K-12