Mary F. Hoffman (she/her/hers)
Interim Associate Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs and Interim Dean of Graduate Studies
- Provide supervision and support to Center for Center for Writing Excellence, Center for International Education, Immersions, McIntyre Library, and Academic Skills Center.
- Serve as program planning liaison to UW System.
- Lead student learning assessment in the Liberal Education Core, academic programs, student support programs, and co-curricular programs.
- Serve as Accreditation Liaison Officer to the Higher Learning Commission.
- Coordinate development and implementation of the Academic Strategic Plan.
- Provide leadership for graduate education.
Strategic Messages in Organizations/Organizational Rhetoric
Strategic Event Planning
Research and Creative Activities
Understanding how organizational messages influence members.
Understanding how individuals use communication to negotiate conflicts between self and organization.
Assisting organizations in strategic planning and effective communication.
B.A. Speech Communication, Winona State University
M.A. Speech Communication, Colorado State University
Ph.D. Communication Studies, University of Kansas
Hoffman, M. F., & Ford, D. J. (2010). Organizational rhetoric: Situations and strategies. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
Fredman, A. J*., Schultz, N. J. & Hoffman, M. F. (2013) ‘You’re moving a frickin’ big ship: The challenges of addressing LGBTQ issues in public schools. Education and Urban Society. Published online prior to print, August 5, 2013.
Schultz, A. J., Hoffman, M. F., Fredman, A. J.*, & Bainbridge, A. L.* (2012). The work and life of young professionals: Rationale and strategy for balance. Qualitative Research Reports in Communication, 13, 44-52.
Hoffman, M. F. & Cowan, R. L. (2010). Be careful what you ask for: Structuration and work/life accommodation. Communication Studies, 61, 205-223.
Hoffman, M. F., & Cowan, R. L. (2008). The meaning of work/life: A corporate ideology of work/life balance. Communication Quarterly, 56, 227-246.
Hoffman, M. F. (2007). Ora et Labora (Prayer and Work): Spirituality, Communication and Organizing in Religious Communities. Journal of Communication and Religion, 30, 187-212.
Cowan, R. L., & Hoffman, M. F. (2007). The flexible organization: How contemporary employees construct the work/life border. Qualitative Research Reports in Communication, 8, 37-44.
*Denotes research conducted with undergraduate student researchers at UW-Eau Claire