Each year, several bicycles are stolen on campus and in the city of Eau Claire. Most thefts can be prevented by properly securing the bicycle with an adequate lock to an approved, fixed object. Always lock your bike and lock it to a bike rack or bike pod! The majority of stolen bicycles have been left unlocked, locked only to themselves, or secured with a lock too weak relative to the value of the bike. U-locks are recommended, but a knowledgeable thief can easily defeat even these.
- Register your bike through the City of Eau Claire Eau Claire Bike Registration
- Always lock your bicycle when parked in a public place
- We recommend using a rigid U-shaped lock. Chain and cable locks can be defeated easily by a thief
- Keep a record of your original purchase receipts and any bicycle serial numbers
- Remember: the newer the bicycle the more desirable to thieves
- Identify and mark your bicycle. Engraving, tape, paint and other means are helpful ways to personalize your bicycle. Keep a photo of your bicycle on record
- Lock your bicycle to a fixed, immovable object such as a bicycle rack
- Always lock your bicycle in a visible and well-lighted area
- Select a location where there are other bicycles
- Don’t lock your bicycle to small trees, aluminum or wooden posts or chain link fences — these items can be easily broken or cut
- Don’t lock your bicycle to railings on steps or ramps as this interferes with those who have sight or mobility impairments
In an effort to reduce these thefts, the UW-Eau Claire Police Department has recently purchased tracking devices to be placed on Bait Bikes. These "Bait Bikes" will be placed around campus. Police are notified when a Bait Bike has been moved and officers are able to track the location of the stolen bicycle. Penalties for stealing a bicycle range from fines of $421.00 to criminal penalties that may result in jail time.
In addition to the tracking devices, the UW Eau Claire Police Department is distributing stickers and pamphlets explaining the program. The "This Could Be a Bait Bike" sticker will be offered for riders to place on their bicycles to act as a deterrent to potential bike thieves.
If you are interested in getting a Bait Bike sticker for your bicycle, they can be obtained free of charge from the following locations:
- UW-Eau Claire Police Department (119 Crest Wellness Center)
- UW-Eau Claire Housing and Residence Life Office (222 Crest Wellness Center)
- UW-Eau Claire Blugold Central (Old Library 1108)