At UW-Eau Claire, we believe that providing opportunities to engage in intercultural experiences outside the classroom offers students the opportunity to challenge and transform their perspectives regarding cultural norms and values. Within the framework of a guided, critically-reflective intercultural experience, and through dialogue and relationship building, students become more aware of multiple perspectives.
- The domestic and international intercultural immersion experiences we provide give students first-hand interaction with other beliefs, customs, experiences, and environments.
- The International Fellows Program is dedicated to supporting international student-faculty collaborative research/creative activity and research service-learning (i.e. field research conducted in conjunction with a service-learning experience).
Mission Statement of the Intercultural Immersion Office:
To enhance the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire student experience by administering and supporting high-impact intercultural immersion programs that are integrated into the curriculum. We aim to deepen student intercultural competence through experiential learning opportunities and engagement with people, cultures, languages, environments, and systems different than their own, in order to foster engaged citizens who have personal and professional skills for lifelong learning in a diverse world.
We fulfill our mission through a commitment to:
- Work with faculty, staff, and departments to develop and promote a diverse array of high-impact intercultural immersion programs through mutually beneficial collaborations with international and domestic partners.
- Foster development of intercultural competency and a respectful understanding of diverse cultures, populations, and environments through transformative learning opportunities.
- Increase access to immersion experiences and encourage participation by all students, particularly those traditionally underrepresented in off-campus high-impact practices.
- Develop faculty expertise in building global relationships through cultural immersion and international research opportunities.
- Bring knowledge, increased capacity, and understanding back to UW-Eau Claire.