What We Do

Student Assistance and Support

The Dean of Students office is here to work with student on a number of issues that might arise during their time at the University. Whether they would like assistance with a personal issue, academic concern, disciplinary matter, or some general advice, the Dean of Students off is here to help. Listed below are common issues we work with, but if your issue is not listed or your question is not answered feel free to come to our office. Walk in hours are Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday from 1-3 p.m., or you can call and make an appointment 715-836-5626.

Students of Concern

One of the primary roles of the Dean of Students office is working with students who may be experiencing difficulty. This could include academic struggles, mental health, medical issues, personal loss, or a variety of other factors that could impact a student's time at the University. The Dean of Students office is here to work with a student to resolve the issue, or be a key resource that gets the student to the place on or off campus that can best meet their need. The Dean of Students work with students as it relates to treatment, support, and accommodations. If you feel like you need assistance with any of these issues, or do not know where to start but know you need help, schedule an appointment with the office at 715-836-5626 or send us an email at deanofstudents@uwec.edu - walk in hours are also available as listed above.

Report a Student of Concern

Blugold Code of Conduct

The student conduct process at the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire is an integral part of the educational mission of the university. The University's student conduct system emphasizes the development of each individual's acceptance of his or her own personal and social responsibilities.

A compassionate and supportive approach to student conduct is employed whenever possible. The University student conduct process is designed to provide and help maintain an atmosphere within the University community that is conducive to academic exploration. Severe disciplinary action against a student, such as separation, is considered and invoked when other remedies fail to meet the needs of the University's mission.

The University recognizes its responsibilities to all members of the academic community - students, faculty, and staff, and the protection of personal and institutional rights and property is a primary focus of the student conduct process. The rules, regulations, procedures, and policies concerning student rights, responsibilities, and student conduct and discipline are found in the Blugold Code.

There is also a helpful Attorney Guide for Student Conduct Process.

students embracing at OMA ceremony

Academic Issues

Academic Misconduct

Avoiding and Preventing Academic Misconduct

At the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire, we value academic integrity. Students bear the responsibility for the academic integrity of their work. In an effort to help students avoid the traps of plagiarism, we have provided the following links with valuable information about plagiarism.

What to do if you’ve been accused of academic misconduct

If you feel you have been falsely accused of academic misconduct, you have the right to a hearing within ten days of the allegation. To request a hearing, contact the Dean of Students Office at 715-836-5626 or stop in Schofield 240. The office staff will take the necessary steps to convene the Student Misconduct Hearing Committee and shall schedule the hearing within ten days of receipt of the request or written report, unless a different time period is mutually agreed upon by the student, instructor, or investigating officer, and the members of the hearing committee. The Student Misconduct Hearing Committee is made up of students and faculty members. This committee will hear from both the instructor and the student, ask follow up questions, and then deliberate in private. The results of the committee’s deliberations will be sent to the student at their address of record. If suspension or expulsion is recommended, a student has the right to appeal to the Chancellor within ten days.

Sites Addressing Plagiarism


For all absences, the student is responsible for contacting instructors individually or through their department. Arrangements for make-up work, make-up exams, or possible assignment adjustments are the responsibility of the student.

For more information, including an explanation of excused absences, view the Class Attendance and Authorized Absence Policies

While it is the student's responsibility to work through absences with their instructors, in cases where the student may be unable to contact their instructors the Dean of Students office can assist with the initial notification. It is most efficient to call the office at 715-836-5626.

Students can drop a class through the first week of the term. After that time, the student will need to work within deadlines and processes set by the Registrar's Office. Deadlines can be seen in CampS, and more information regarding dropping classes and changing registration can be found at the link below. The Dean of Students can help a student begin this process. 

Registrar's Office - Registration Changes

A withdrawal from the University refers to dropping all courses the student is enrolled in. The need for this can arise for a variety of reasons, and the Dean of Students office can help any student through their decision to do so and the process for a withdrawal, as the process is different at different points in the semester. 

Some frequently asked questions are listed here,  and the general withdrawal explanation is here.

A student may file an academic or affirmative action grievance if they believe there was a substantial and unjustified deviation from University policies or course requirements. The Dean of Students Office does not handle grievances, but can assist a student in the process of filing one. For more information, see the Grievances and Complaints Policy.

We want to hear from you

Please enter your name

Please enter a valid email address

Please enter a valid phone number

Please enter a message