Skip to main content

Residency for Tuition Purposes

If you have questions about Wisconsin residency for tuition purposes, contact the Admissions Office at 715-836-5415. In order to be considered a resident for tuition purposes -an individual must have been a bona fide resident of the state for at least 12 months preceding the beginning of any semester or session for which s/he is registering at UWEC, and must have come to the state for other than educational purposes, in order to qualify for resident tuition.

The determination of residency is based upon Wisconsin statute. You can read more about the residency requirement at:

Residency for Tuition Purposes at University of Wisconsin - System Administration.

University Residency Requirements for Graduation

Residence credit is earned by enrolling in UW-Eau Claire courses, both on and off campus.

Minimum Total

Residence of one year (30 semester credits) is required of all candidates for baccalaureate degrees.

Senior Year

Twenty-three of the last 30 credits prior to graduation from any curriculum must be earned in residence unless special arrangements have been made by petition to the Dean of the School.


At least 12 credits of the upper division work (300-400 level courses) required in a standard major, and 21 in a comprehensive major, must be taken in residence. In the School of Education, at least nine credits of upper division work in a teaching minor must also be completed in residence.

We want to hear from you

Please enter your name

Please enter a valid email address

Please enter a valid phone number

Please enter a message