Skip to main content

Learn more about UWEC's COVID-19 response.

Explore the teaching English as a foreign language (TEFL) certificate at UW-Eau Claire

The teaching English as a foreign language (TEFL) certificate at the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire is designed to provide the basic coursework for future EFL (English as a foreign language) teachers.

This certificate is a popular choice for those who want to teach English in countries like Japan, China, Mexico, Poland, Romania or Korea. Education students may also choose to add this certificate to their teaching of English to speakers of other languages minor for additional teaching opportunities.

Request Info Apply Now Schedule a Visit

Why teaching English as a foreign language at UW-Eau Claire?

Internship experience. As part of the teaching English as a foreign language certificate, you'll participate in a three- to six-credit internship, providing you with real-world connections and experiences. Internships range from conducting field research to teaching a language to participating in a professional activity related to your career goals. 

Supportive professors. While pursuing your certificate, you'll learn from faculty within a variety of disciplines. Their unique backgrounds and areas of expertise will introduce you to new teaching methods and ways of thinking. Classes are small, ensuring you have the opportunity to ask questions and get to know your classmates. 

What classes do teaching English as a foreign language students take?

Your classes may cover topics like: 

Learn more about the teaching English as a foreign language (TEFL) certificate in the UWEC course catalog

Additional information

Understanding TEFL as it relates to TESOL
What is the difference between Teaching English as a Second Language (TESOL) and Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL)?

Professionals in the field use the distinction between second language environments, where English is spoken in the community outside of the classroom, and foreign language environments, where the students' native language is spoken outside of the classroom. If you want to teach in the U.S. (a second language environment) with a state of Wisconsin license, you would pursue the TESOL minor. If you want to teach overseas, you would pursue your TEFL certificate.

Can I obtain the TESOL minor for an in-state license and complete the TEFL certificate so I can teach internationally?

Yes, you may add the TEFL certificate to your TESOL minor with very little additional course work.

Find more information about minoring in TESOL

Related programs at UW-Eau Claire

Thinking about earning a certificate in teaching English as a foreign language? Here are other programs you may be interested in exploring.

Department information

Learn more about the languages department

Request info

Let's get to know each other better! Tell us a little about yourself and get a look at Blugold life.

Request Info

Apply now

Start your college journey at UW-Eau Claire. Complete your application today.

Apply Now

Schedule a visit

We would love to meet you! We will help answer your questions and guide you through the process.

Schedule a Visit