The College of Business has a Windows-based laptop requirement. Some days you will be required to bring your laptop to class. All courses are taught in a Windows-based environment. The College of Business wants to ensure everyone has a capable computer and it meets the minimum laptop requirements. See this page for the COB laptop requirement and courses requiring a laptop.
Intel Core i5 or i7 or AMD equivalent
13" or larger with at least Full HD (1920 x 1080) resolution
Windows 10 or 11 with updates current
Microsoft 365, with Windows security turned on
16 GB RAM or higher
256GB Solid State Drive or higher
Wi-Fi 4 (802.11n) or newer
Integrated or external webcam required
To use projection systems on campus laptops should have a HDMI port or adapter
Extended life battery
Business Courses Requiring Laptop Access
- IS 240 Information Systems in Business
- ACCT 312 Managerial Accounting
- ACCT 313 Auditing
- ACCT 321 Individual Federal Income Taxation
- ACCT 415 Cost Accounting
- ACCT 417 Governmental and Nonprofit Organization Accounting
- ACCT 420 Fraud Investigation and Prevention
- ACCT 423 Corporate, Partnership, and Other Entity Tax
- ACCT 460 Accounting Information Systems and Technology
- ACCT 470 Accounting Data Analytics
- FIN 326 Short Term Financial Management
- FIN 327 Long Term Financial Management
- FIN 328 Introduction to Derivative Securities
- FIN 420 Corporate Valuation
- FIN 424 Portfolio Management
- FIN 428 Advanced Derivative Securities
Information Systems Courses
- IS 290 Introduction to Database Applications
- IS 304 Fundamentals of Business Programming
- IS 310 Systems Analysis and Design
- IS 314 Business Software Engineering
- IS 324 Object-Oriented Systems
- IS 344 Database Management Systems
- IS 345 Networking with Client Operating Systems
- IS 375 Server-based Networking & Security
- IS 365 Security Policy Management
- IS 450 Distributed Systems Development
- IS 455 Project Management
- IS 460 Seminar in Information Systems
- MGMT 343 Purchasing Management
- MGMT 344 Managerial Decision Modeling and Analysis
- MGMT 443 Process Simulation and Analysis
- MGMT 471 Entrepreneurship Capstone
- MKTG 338 Marketing Analytics and Technology
- MKTG 434 Advanced Marketing Analytics
- MKTG 438 Marketing Management
UW-Eau Claire Discount Packages
UW-Eau Claire has negotiated educational pricing on Dell computers for faculty/staff/student personal purchases.
Special pricing on Dell products
HP is also an affordable windows-based laptop option. Currently, UW-Eau Claire does not partner with HP to offer a discount.
Apple offers standard academic discounts to UW-Eau Claire for faculty/staff/student personal purchases. However, Apple versions of many Microsoft applications (notably Excel and other Office 365 applications used extensively in the college) do not have the same features as the Windows versions. This means that the Windows versions are required in the college. Fortunately, many Macs can run Windows and will meet the college's minimum computing requirements. MacBooks manufactured before 2021 can run Windows via Apple’s Boot Camp software, and almost all Apple computers can run Windows via a virtual computing platform such as Parallels Desktop or VMware Fusion.
Special pricing on Apple products
Already Own a PC?
Do you already own a laptop PC? Make sure it meets the College of Business's minimum computing specifications.
Want to upgrade an already purchased PC? We suggest you first purchase additional RAM, then increase the size of the hard drive. These upgrade items will most affect enhanced performance.
Mac users have access to Microsoft Windows via UW-Eau Claire's virtual environment:
The virtual environment simulates a general access lab, enabling you to access software applications such as SAP, Oracle, Visio, and Office 2016. Your UWEC network drives are automatically mapped after you log in. Get started here.
College of Business students who already own an Apple laptop, but are required to have access to a laptop running Windows, have two additional options: Boot Camp and VMWare/Parallels. Please note: It will be the student's responsibility to have either of these options pre-installed before they begin their classes. The College of Business will not install Windows on Macs.
Option 1: Boot Camp
Boot Camp is an Apple application that allows older Macs (not new ones) to run either Windows or Mac OS on the same Mac.
Requirement: Macs that contain an Intel CPU
Option 2: VMware / Parallels
VMware Fusion and Parallels are two products that an Apple user can purchase to install on the Mac operating system. Both applications allow users to run Windows within an application through the Mac OS.
NOTE: Running the Windows OS through the Mac OS, this process is very a hardware intensive process. Users may experience slow performance.
Requirements: Intel Processor, Minimum 4GB of RAM, and 400MB of Free Disk Space
While printers are available on campus, the College of Business recommends that you purchase a desktop printer for added convenience.
The College of Business recommends you use Microsoft Office 365 Professional Plus software. You can purchase this software and other popular software packages at substantial discounts through the Wisconsin Integrated Software Catalog. You can also download Microsoft Office free via Microsoft 365. Other options are available by registering through the Microsoft Dev Tools for Teaching website for installing free software on your personal computers
Contact David Nesvacil, College of Business Technical Services Coordinator.