The College of Business operates in a PC environment. All business students need access to a laptop computer that runs Windows, meets other minimum capabilities, and can be brought to class when there is in-class computer usage. Students enrolled in all online business courses must also have access to a computer (laptop or desktop) that runs Windows and meets the college's minimum requirements.
|Processor||Intel Core i5 or i7 or AMD equivalent|
|Display||13" or larger|
|Operating System||Windows 10|
|Software||Microsoft 365 (free download from Microsoft 365), Up-to-date virus protection|
|Memory||8 GB RAM or higher|
|Hard Drive||256GB Solid State Drive or higher|
|Wireless Capability||802.11 AC or N compatible|
|Battery||Extended life battery*|
*You should have a battery with at least 6-8 hours of capacity since not all classrooms have electrical plug-ins.
Business Courses Requiring Laptop Access
- IS 240 Information Systems in Business
Other Business Courses
- ACCT 312 Managerial Accounting
- ACCT 313 Auditing
- ACCT 321 Individual Federal Income Taxation
- ACCT 415 Cost Accounting
- ACCT 420 Fraud Investigation and Prevention
- ACCT 423 Corporate, Partnership, and Other Entity Tax
- ACCT 430 Accounting Systems
- ACCT 435 Advanced Accounting Systems and IT Auditing
- ACCT 460 Accounting Information Systems and Technology
- ACCT 470 Accounting Data Analytics
- BSAD 380 Applied Quantitative Methods
- FIN 326 Short Term Financial Management
- FIN 327 Long Term Financial Management
- FIN 328 Introduction to Derivative Securities
- FIN 420 Corporate Valuation
- FIN 424 Portfolio Management
- FIN 428 Advanced Derivative Securities
- IS 290 Introduction to Database Applications
- IS 304 Fundamentals of Business Programming
- IS 310 Systems Analysis and Design
- IS 314 Business Software Engineering
- IS 324 Object-Oriented Systems
- IS 344 Database Management Systems
- IS 345 Networking with Client Operating Systems
- IS 365 Security Policy Management
- IS 450 Distributed Systems Development
- IS 455 Project Management
- IS 460 Seminar in Information Systems
- IS 740 Managing Information Technology Foundation
- IS 751 Information Systems
- MGMT 343 Purchasing Management
- MGMT 344 Quantitative Methods for Management and Operations
- MGMT 443 Process Simulation and Analysis
- MGMT 471 Business Plan Considerations and Drafting
- MKTG 338 Marketing Analytics and Technology
- MKTG 434 Advanced Marketing Analytics
- MKTG 438 Marketing Management
UW-Eau Claire Discount Packages
UW-Eau Claire has negotiated educational pricing on Dell computers for faculty/staff/student personal purchases.
Apple offers standard academic discounts to UW-Eau Claire for faculty/staff/student personal purchases. A Macintosh that can run Windows will meet the college's minimum computing requirements.
Already Own a PC?
Do you already own a laptop PC? Make sure it meets the College of Business's minimum computing specifications.
Want to upgrade an already purchased PC? We suggest you first purchase additional RAM, then increase the size of the hard drive. These upgrade items will most affect enhanced performance.
Have a Mac? Go virtual!
Mac users have access to Microsoft Windows via UW-Eau Claire's virtual environment. The virtual environment allows students to access many software titles from general access labs, including SAP, Oracle, Visual Studio, Visio, Microsoft Office, as well as many other titles. Your UW-Eau Claire network drives are automatically mapped after you log in (remember to only save to network drives or USB flash drives). Get started here.
There are a few other options for College of Business students who already own an Apple laptop, but are required to have access to a laptop running Windows. Please note: It will be the student's responsibility to have either of these options pre-installed before they begin their classes. The College of Business will not install Windows on Macs.
Option 1: Boot Camp
Boot Camp is an Apple application that allows users to run both Windows and Mac on the same piece of hardware.
Requirement: Intel Processor
Option 2: VMware Fusion / Parallels
VMware Fusion and Parallels are two products that an Apple user can purchase to install on the Mac operating system. Both applications allow users to run Windows within an application through the Mac OS.
NOTE: When running the Windows OS through the Mac OS, this process is very hardware intensive and users may experience slow performance.
Requirements: Intel Processor, Minimum 2GB of RAM, and 400MB of Free Disk Space
While printers are available on campus, the College of Business recommends that you purchase a desktop printer for added convenience.
The College of Business recommends you use Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2016 software. You can purchase this software and other popular software packages at substantial discounts through the Wisconsin Integrated Software Catalog. You can also download Microsoft Office for free from Microsoft 365. Other options are available by registering through the UWEC On The Hub Software Store for installing software on your personal computers for free (or at a low cost).
Contact David Nesvacil, College of Business Technical Services Coordinator.