An internship can be an exciting part of your education that supplements your academic knowledge, promotes personal development, and provides professional preparation. While on an internship, you can learn more about your chosen profession, meet new people, and gain self-confidence. Having an internship will also aid your job search as many companies use an internship to pre-screen prospective employees.
An accounting/finance internship is a part-time or full-time work experience. Many full-time internships are completed during the summer, or during tax season the spring semester. Part-time internships are often completed while taking classes.
Most accounting and finance internships are paid experiences with salary and benefits determined by the employer.
You may take an internship for academic credit or elect to have it recorded on your university transcript as a non-credit learning experience. Internships taken for credit may be used to satisfy accounting or finance degree requirements.
What interns do
- Participated in internal financial and operational audits for corporations, state and federal agencies, and nonprofit organizations
- Helped prepare audit working papers and reports
- Prepared state and federal corporate and individual income tax returns
- Computed contingent liabilities, reserves, and long-term debt requirements
- Accumulated accounts payable and receivable information
- Developed spreadsheets and other applications using a personal computer
- Helped develop accounting and financial policies
- Helped develop analysis of manufactured products
Recent placements of accounting and finance interns
- American Express
- American Family Insurance
- Baker Tilly
- Cascades Tissue Group
- Citizens Community Credit Union
- Clifton Larson Allen, LLP
- Deloitte and Touche
- Federated Insurance
- Leinenkugel Brewing Co.
- Marshfield Clinic
- MayoHealth Systems
- National Presto Industries, Inc.
- Northwestern Mutual
- Prudential Securities
- Securian Financial Group
- Sentry Insurance
- State Farm Insurance
- State of Wisconsin Audit Bureau
- SVA CPA
- U.S. Bancorp
- UW-Eau Claire Foundation
- Wells Fargo
The Accounting Internship Coordinator is Ms. DeeAnne Peterson, MBA and the Finance Internship Coordinator is Dr. Pedro Sottile, Ph.D.