We’ve partnered with the Peace Corps to offer a non-academic certificate that will help ensure Blugolds graduate with the skills they need to become Peace Corps volunteers or to pursue a career in international development. You’ll build knowledge and skills in areas such as health, education, youth development and the environment, as well as foreign language proficiency, intercultural understanding and leadership skills. While enhancing and developing these skills, you’ll also be making yourself more competitive for the Peace Corps.
Combining the Peace Corps Prep Certificate program with the efforts the university is making towards global education and service learning made the two a perfect fit. While you’re encouraged by the university to study abroad, do service learning and cultural immersion, this program helps to strengthen your skill set and assist you in finding the best opportunities.
Skills you'll gain from the Peace Corps
Through the Peace Corps you’ll get leadership experience that offers you the opportunity to travel to the farthest corners of the world and work on sustainable development projects in agriculture, education, health, youth development and more. Through this you’ll return as global citizens and gain skills such as:
- Community development
- Cross-cultural understanding
Being a Peace Corps volunteer has defined my life in so many ways. I view the Peace Corps as my entry-level international job. For me it helped me fund my graduate degree and led to my career in international education. For many of my friends, it led to international careers with the U.S. State Department, public health department or international development organizations.
Students interested in becoming part of the Peace Corps Prep Program must submit an application to the Peace Corps Prep Committee. In your application, you will be asked to outline what work sector you would like to pursue as a Peace Corps Volunteer as well as how you plan to fill the course and practical experience requirements during your time at UW-Eau Claire. Please review the Peace Corps Prep Student Guide and/or attend a Peace Corps informational session to learn more about the program.
How to apply:
- Submit your Peace Corps Prep Application by email to the Peace Corps Prep Committee, c/o Dr. Damir Kovačević, firstname.lastname@example.org or in-person to Hibbard 415. Students are encouraged to contact the Academic Coordinator or one of the Peace Corps Prep advisors prior to submitting an application.
- Application deadline: December 4 for Fall semester or April 16 for Spring semester
- Approval Process: The Peace Corps Prep Committee reviews and approves applications. In some cases, revisions to the application are requested or admission to the program is not awarded. Students who are asked to revise will be given specific feedback for re-submission.
- “Questions? Contact Dr. Damir Kovačević, Peace Corps Prep Academic Coordinator, email@example.com
Planning your Peace Corps Prep experience
While UW-Eau Claire has many academic certificates, the Peace Corps Prep Certificate is awarded by the Peace Corps and is supported by UWEC. Work closely with an advisor to see how your completion of the Peace Corps Prep Certificate could potentially benefit you academically and professionally.
Peace Corps Prep certificate program available at UW-Eau Claire
UW-Eau Claire is partnering with the Peace Corps to offer a certificate program that will help ensure that Blugolds can graduate with the skills they need to become Peace Corps volunteers or to pursue a career in international development.