Established in 2016, the mission of the non-partisan Menard Center for Constitutional Studies (MCCS) is to promote research, education and community outreach on matters related to the United States Constitution and the Wisconsin Constitution. Alongside our core mission, we carry out functions that include, but are not limited to:
- Operating as UW-Eau Claire's public point of access when the media or the public seek information or research on issues related to the Wisconsin Constitution or the U.S. Constitution
- Acting as the University's resource for government officials who are requesting information or research on issues related to the Wisconsin Constitution or the U.S. Constitution when they are making policy;
- Serving as the University's forum for inviting speakers, creating lecture series, and hosting seminars, workshops, and conferences in the fields of Wisconsin and U.S. constitutional law and politics;
- Encouraging both internal and external research collaboration in the fields of Wisconsin and U.S. constitutional law and politics;
- Supporting and organizing faculty-student research activities in the fields of Wisconsin and U.S. constitutional law and politics;
- Complementing the Political Science Department curriculum, which stresses the exploration of constitutional law and politics in several courses and with its Comprehensive Major with a Legal Studies Emphasis; and
- Helping UW-Eau Claire students learn more about the study of state and federal constitutional law and politics by working with relevant student organizations.
See who's involved
The MCCS and its activities are managed by a director, a coordinator, and a steering committee made up of UW-Eau Claire faculty members, each of whom has expertise in constitutional law.
- Dr. Eric T. Kasper, Director
- Philip Rechek, Coordinator
- Dr. Adam Kunz, Steering Committee Member
- Dr. Daniel Simmons, Steering Committee Member
- Nilesh Sinha, Steering Committee Member
- Dr. Amber Wilson, Steering Committee Member
- Dr. Rodd Freitag, Steering Committee Member
Want more information?