It’s hard to throw a rock very far in this region and not hit a Blugold geologist working in the field — they're everywhere! As professionals in careers like environmental consulting or the mining industry, regulatory work at agencies such as the DNR and EPA in states nationwide, and in countless graduate programs across the country, our graduates are out there making names for themselves in industry and academia.
Where will this degree take me?
As any edition of our annual Alumni Newsletter will prove, the jobs and career paths that await you as a Blugold graduate of the Department of Geology are literally all over the map. Here is just a sampling of positions held by graduates who submitted updates for the 2015 Alumni Newsletter:
- Project lead, Petroleum remediation program, MN Pollution Control Agency
- Geologist, Maptek Corp.
- Geosteerer, Sudbrink Geological Consulting
- Hydrogeologist, WI DNR
- College geology teacher, California State University-Fullerton
- Environmental scientist, REI Engineering, Wausau, WI
- Eau Claire City-County Health Department
- Driller/geologist, Terracon
- Directional drilling technician, Halliburton, Lafayette, LA
- Geologist, Cedar Corp, Menomonie, WI
- Staff Geologist, Chevron Corp.
- Water resource engineer, HR Green Inc., Cedar Rapids, IA
- Geological modeling & drill planning, Kensington Gold Mine
- Geochemist, Virginia Tech
- Mining specialist, Smart Sand Inc.
- Field Geologist, Arcadis US, Minneapolis, MN
I really couldn’t be happier with my experience in the geology department at UWEC. The quality of education offered in this department is top notch. It really focuses on the invaluable experience gained from taking field trips and getting out and looking at the rocks. Looking back at my time at UWEC, I simply can’t see myself having been in any other major.
What about graduate studies?
Blugold geology students have gone on to pursue graduate studies at prestigious institutions around the country. These have included:
Colorado School of Mines
Idaho State University
Michigan Institute of Technology
Montana School of Mines
University of British Columbia
University of Calgary
University of California-Berkeley
University of Minnesota-Duluth
University of Montana
University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill
University of Wisconsin-Madison
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
Western Washington University
- Geology Jobs - Earth science, Oil, and gas jobs
- Warner College of Natural Resources - Federal government jobs and internships
- Stevens Point Resources - Potential careers to utilize your degree
- Michigan Tech Resources - Professional societies and job resources
For more information on job opportunities in the Earth Sciences through UWEC, contact Dr. Kent Syverson firstname.lastname@example.org.
- American Geophysical Union (AGU) Promotes discovery in Earth and space science worldwide
- American Quaternary Association (AMQUA)
- Geologic Society of America (GSA)
- Global Change (NASA)
- Institute of Geophysics and Planetary Physics (IGPP)
- International Association of Hydrogeologists
- Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) Home Page
- National Science Foundation (NSF) Geosciences
- U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) Home Page
- U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) Earthquake Information
Data images, maps + books
- National Geologic Map Database (NGMDB) at the USGS: the best place to start looking for geologic maps.
- National Spatial Data Clearinghouse (NSDC): a search engine with access to a HUGE collection of maps.
- The Association of American State Geologists: good place to get detailed info on a state-by-state basis.
- GIS Data and Maps at Penn State
- Color Landform Atlas of the United States: a terrific way to get topographic and satellite images of the states (mostly GIFs). Courtesy of Ray Sterner.
- GTOPO30: another set of global land elevation data at 30 arc-sec (~1 km) resolution.
- ETOPO5: global dataset of topography (land) and bathymetry at 5 arc-min (about 10 km) resolution.
- Want a simple basemap quick? Try the easy-as-pie, GMT-based web utility Map-It.
- GMT: set of Unix tools for geographic data manipulation and mapping from Paul Wessel and Walter Smith.
- GRASS: open source GIS
- Microdem by Peter Guth of the U.S. Naval Academy.
- Earth Images Catalog
- Marli Miller Image Database: Thousands of geologic images in a searchable database and maps of national parks and other useful documents!
The professionals in our Career Services office are here and ready to help our students and soon to be graduates with not only internships, but career search and placement, as well as resume building that is geared specifically toward geology graduates. They have compiled multiple resources for our geology students, from national and international job listing sites to alumni career stories and job connections.