During Fall 2020, the University community has the opportunity to look forward, to 2025, to envision the distinctive university we want to be. And we need you — UW-Eau Claire faculty, staff and students — to be a part of the discussion.
Integrated plans will guide our future: The 2025 University Strategic Plan; the EDI Strategic Plan and the Recommendations from the Sustainability & Climate Action Task Force. They will be completed this fall, followed by a new Academic Plan to be completed in spring, 2021. We welcome Blugolds at all three campuses to review the ideas, provide feedback and inform the work of the three committees through surveys and an action forum.
Campus Action Forum
On Thursday, October 29, members of the three planning committees shared their ideas and asked for feedback from the campus. See the links below to watch the recorded video.
University Strategic Planning
What should UW-Eau Claire look like in 2025? That's what we, as a university, have been challenged to envision.
This past summer, Chancellor Schmidt engaged faculty and staff in discussions about what can truly set our university apart in the coming years. We were tasked with identifying the strengths that distinguish us and the areas of focus that can propel UW-Eau Claire ahead. Two additional planning teams were created to address specific needs for direction in EDI— equity, diversity and inclusion — and in sustainability and climate action. And now, it's time for you to share your feedback.
We foster in one another creativity, critical insight, empathy and intellectual courage, the hallmarks of a transformative liberal education and the foundation for active citizenship and lifelong inquiry.
We fulfill our mission through a pervasive university commitment to provide:
- Rigorous, intentional and experiential undergraduate liberal education for life and livelihood;
- Strong, distinctive professional and graduate programs that build on and strengthen our proud tradition of liberal education;
- Multicultural and international learning experiences for a diverse world;
- Exemplary student-faculty research and scholarship that enhance teaching and learning;
- An inclusive campus community that challenges students to develop their intellectual, personal, cultural and social competencies;
- Educational opportunities responsive to the needs of our communities, state, region and beyond; and
- Academic leadership in transforming liberal education.
The University offers undergraduate programs and degrees in the arts, humanities, social sciences, health sciences, sciences, select engineering fields, education, nursing and business. The institution also offers graduate programs related to areas of strength within the institution, including business, education, nursing, human sciences, humanities and sciences.
UW-Eau Claire mission statement amended by UWS Board of Regents Res. 8623, adopted 11/8/2002; Res. 9774, adopted 6/11/2010; and Res. 10716, adopted 6/10/2016.
We are noted for rigorous, integrated, globally infused undergraduate liberal education and distinctive, select graduate programs. We are leaders in preparing students for lifelong contributions to society through career, service and personal achievement.
- Diversity and inclusiveness
- Innovation and continuous improvement
- Stewardship and sustainability
University Planning Committee Members
The University Planning Committee is appointed by the chancellor to oversee strategic planning at the university.
- Jenni Sterling, Administrative/Training Coordinator (University Centers)
- Paula Kleintjes Neff, Department Chair, Professor (Biology, College of Arts and Sciences)
- Louisa Rice, Chair and Associate Professor (History, College of Arts and Sciences)
- Dang Yang, Director (Office of Multicultural Affairs)
- Billy Felz, Director (Advising, Retention and Career Center)
- Ann Aschenbrenner, Assistant Professor (Nursing, College of Nursing and Health Sciences)
- Jidong Zhang, Assistant Professor (Accounting and Finance)
- Saori Braun, Associate Professor (Kinesiology)
- *Leah Olson-McBride, Associate Professor and Chair (Social Work, College of Education and Human Sciences) *temporarily serving through May 2021
2019-20 - Serving from UWEC – Barron County
- Troy Kozma, Chair, Professor and Academic Chair (Philosophy and Religious Studies)
- Vice Chancellor for Finance and Administration
- University Senate Chair
- Student Senate President
- MJ Brukardt, Special Assistant to the Chancellor, Executive Director of Marketing and Planning
- Corry Mahnke, University Services Program Associate, Office of the Chancellor
University Planning Committee Meeting Minutes
All meeting minutes are available here with your UW-Eau Claire password.
2025 University Strategic Plan
The 2025 University Strategic Plan is informed by a year of campus conversations, indebted to EDI and sustainability planning, and inspired by new vision conversations. By collaborating with EDI and sustainability planning teams, we hope to provide a unified vision and focus for UW-Eau Claire’s future. This represents a holistic approach to planning that will lay out a compelling vision and strategic goals for the University as a whole in preparation for academic planning in the spring.
Help shape our future
We know how hard everyone is working — this semester in particular. But we are asking for a small amount of your time. Read the 2025 University Strategic Plan above and provide your feedback. All ideas are welcome.
Submit your questions and feedback on the 2025 University Strategic Plan by emailing email@example.com.
EDI Strategic Plan
The EDI Strategic Plan is a commitment that we make for ourselves and for the entire campus to help make our university community more equitable, diverse and inclusive. Everyone across our campuses has a stake in EDI and a role to play. And in order for this plan to be effective, we need to hear from everyone.
EDI Strategic Plan Committee Members
- Dang Yang, Director, Office of Multicultural Affairs, Office of Multicultural Affairs
- Heather Ann Moody, Ed.D, Assistant Professor, American Indian Studies
- Anjela Wong, Ph.D., Associate Professor, Education Studies
- Elizabeth Glogowski, Ph.D., Associate Professor, Materials Science + Engineering
- Karen Callaway, Ph.D., Human Resources Representative, Human Resources
- Susan Kajsiab Vang, Admissions Counselor, Admissions
- Caitlin Lee, Equal Opportunity Specialist, Affirmative Action
- Shanise Walker, Ph.D, Assistant Professor, Department of Mathematics
- Kallie Friede, Associate Student Services Coordinator, Gender & Sexuality Resource Center
- Nikolaus Spittlemeister, Student, UW-Eau Claire
- Kong Pheng Pha, Ph.D., Assistant Professor, Critical Hmong Studies + Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies
- Melissa Kozma, Ph.D., Senior Lecturer, Philosophy & Religious Studies + Women's, Gender, & Sexuality Studies Affiliate
- Jayne Blodgett, Interim Dean - University Libraries, University of Northern Colorado
- Vincent Segovia, Student, UW-Eau Claire
- Pajyeeb Lo, Student, UW-Eau Claire – Marshfield
- Demetrius Smith, Ed.D, Program Director for EDI, Division of Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, & Student Affairs
- Sudeep Bhattacharyay, Ph.D., Associate Professor, Chemistry Department
- Linda Brunner, Academic Department Associate, Special Education and Inclusive Practices + Education Studies
EDI Strategic Plan Charge
2025 EDI Strategic Plan Preliminary Report
The committee's preliminary report outlines findings from the feedback and data that was collected by the committee during the preliminary phase over Summer 2020. This report provides foundational themes that will inform the next phase of our committee’s work as we reach out to campus stakeholders to begin identifying action items that will be included in the EDI Strategic Plan.
Share your voice
Help us bridge our communities together by being a part of the holistic EDI strategic plan. Your voice needs to be heard.
- Monday, November 16 | 12 p.m.-1:30 pm via Zoom
- Monday, November 16 | 4 p.m.-5:30 p.m. via Zoom
- Tuesday, November 17 | 12 p.m. - 1:30 p.m. via Zoom
- Tuesday, November 17 | 1 p.m. - 2:30 p.m. via Zoom
- Wednesday, November 18 | 11 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. via Zoom
- Thursday, November 19 | 5 p.m. - 6:30 p.m. via Zoom
- Tuesday, November 24 | 5 p.m. - 6:30 p.m. via Zoom
- Tuesday, December 15 | 12:30 p.m. - 2 p.m. via Zoom
- Wednesday, December 16 | 4 p.m. - 5:30 p.m. via Zoom
- Thursday, December 17 | 12 p.m. - 1:30 p.m. via Zoom
Take Action Forum feedback form
Click on the Qualtrics link below to provide feedback and ideas that will inform the development of the priorities, goals and action items in the EDI Strategic Plan. This anonymous survey is appropriate for faculty, staff, students, alumni, community members and other stakeholders.
What we have the audacity to envision, we have the power to make reality.
Sustainability and Climate Action Task Force
Our campus community is strategically positioned to be a regional leader in the areas of sustainability and climate action – something we have proved over the last several years. From the native plant species on our beautiful campus, to environmentally-centered curriculum, to cutting carbon in our buildings.
But we still have work to do. We want to make our buildings more energy-efficient, provide support to faculty members who want to expand sustainability and climate action topics into their courses, and strengthen our leadership and student engagement in this area.
Sustainability and Climate Action Task Force Committee
- Karen Mumford (faculty chair), Associate Professor and Director, Watershed Institute
- Tony Rongstad (university staff chair), Sustainability Analyst, Facilities Maintenance
- Lauren Becker, Environmental Geography major, American Indian Studies minor, Director of the Student Office of Sustainability
- Jim Boulter, Professor of Chemistry, Watershed Institute for Collaborative Environmental Studies faculty
- Tarique Niazi, Professor of Environmental Sociology, Watershed Institute for Collaborative Environmental Studies faculty
- Lauren Wentz, Associate Professor of Biology, UW-Eau Claire Barron County
University Staff Members:
- Kristina Beuning, Greenhouse and Animal Care Manager, Department of Biology
- Jackie Lee, Academic Advisor, Advising, Retention and Career Center
- Cory White, Assistant Track and Field Coach (part-time), Safety, Health and Environmental Specialist, Phillips-Medisize (full-time)
- Katrina Kawak, Environmental Public Health major, Chemistry minor, Women’s Studies certificate, Intern for Gender and Sexuality Resource Center, previous student manager of the Student Office of Sustainability
- Maddie Loeffler, Environmental Geography major, American Indian Studies certificate, Secretary of the Geography and Anthropology Club, member of the Art Student Associatio
- Oscar Brandser, Accounts Manager
City of Eau Claire:
- Ned Noel, City Planning Office
- Jennifer McGeorge
Sustainability and Climate Action Task Force Charge
Recommendations from the Sustainability & Climate Action Task Force
We want to position UW-Eau Claire campuses as regional leaders in sustainability and climate action education, engagement and programming. View our recommendations below on how we might start this process.
Make your visions a reality
To make our sustainability and climate action plans even better, we need your input and ideas. Tell us what YOU envision. Because what we have the audacity to envision, we have the power to make reality.
Below please find a link to a Qualtrics survey where you can provide us with your suggestions for recommendations as well as ask questions. You'll also be asked to provide responses to various questions that will help us understand your perspectives about sustainability and climate action and your level of support for some of our draft recommendations. The information you share will be confidential and will be used by the task force to finalize our recommendations.
For additional questions or suggestions, contact:
- Lauren Becker at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Karen Mumford at email@example.com
- Tony Rongstad at firstname.lastname@example.org