The University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire’s (UWEC) dining service contractor - Sodexo - has exclusive rights to provide all types of food services on campus. No food or beverages may be provided by campus organizations or off-campus vendors unless authorization is granted through the Event Services office at least 10 working days in advance. See http://www.uwec.edu/Dining/catering/index.htm for detailed information.
The Headquarters City and UW-Sponsored Events Policy provides the policy and guidelines for UW-sponsored events. (See instructions at the end of this document regarding “Charges for non-UW facilities which require off-site approval for events attended primarily by UW Employees.”)
NOTE: If you are paying for an event with funds other than those from state funding, such as Foundation funds, the following items do not apply.
Items to note:
- We are not allowed to pay for alcohol under any circumstance.
- Pizza is considered a meal, not a refreshment break. (NOTE: You will need to include a participant list and a meeting agenda.)
- We are not allowed to reimburse for breakfast meetings on campus at the normal travel rate of $8.00. However, we are allowed to reimburse up to $5.00 per person for a morning refreshment break.
- Limits per person are (see Section B – Headquarters City and UW-Sponsored Events Policy for additional requirements):
- $5.00 per break (one morning and one afternoon)
- $10.00 is allowed for lunch
- $20.00 is allowed for dinner
NOTE: The restrictions outlined in this section regarding food do not apply to UW-sponsored events attended primarily by the general public if participants pay a fee to cover such costs.
Food Service Waiver
In the event you wish to provide food from an outside source, the Blugold Dining Waiver Request form must be used to request an exemption from the UWEC contract with Sodexo. You may call Christian Wise at 715-836-2716 or email firstname.lastname@example.org regarding food waiver questions. If the waiver is approved by Sodexo, it must be attached to the appropriate documentation each time you request reimbursement. Reimbursement requests will not be processed without an attached waiver.
Steps for ordering and completing paperwork for events that include food paid for by State funds:
- Contact Sodexo to order food items required for the event unless you have a food waiver from Sodexo.
- If you have a food waiver, go to Step 11.
- Once the event is completed, you will receive an email with the subject line "Food Service Requisition", along with a link to the eform. Note: Sodexo's invoice and their supporting documentation will be attached.
- Review the invoice for accuracy. If there is a concern with the invoice, note the concern in the comment box and click on the "return to Soxexo" button.
- Complete the eform when the corrected invoice is received.
- The food service requisition must be approved by the authorized signatory of the account(s).
- The following information must accompany the completed Food Service Requisition when returned to Accounts Payable:
- Agenda describing the business conducted for all meetings
- Participant list (required for pizza, lunch & dinner meetings only. If only refreshments are served, participant list is not required.)
- Brochure if event is not a meeting.
- Submit the Food Service Requisition eform with attachments to Accounts Payable.
- You will receive an email from Accounts Payable with a message in red if there are questions/issues with what was submitted. Resubmit when resolved.
- You will receive an email indicationg the invoice was approved and it will be processed.
- Count Variations: You must make any changes to the number of people attending your event 48 hours prior to the event. Failure to do so will result in you being billed according to the original contract information provided. Any adjustments for changes not made within that 48 hour window prior to the event are not guaranteed and will only be made with the approval of the Catering Director, Terri Knudtson. (NOTE: If you do not follow this step, you may be overcharged. Accounts Payable is only able to pay for those in attendance if a meal is served.)
- Working within a budget: If you are operating on a limited budget, contact the Catering Director, Terri Knudtson, at 715-836-2632. She will work with you to create a suitable compromise within your budget. If sufficient accommodations cannot be made, submit a food waiver request for approval.
- If you have a food waiver, send it to Accounts Payable along with the completed reimbursement claim or purchase requisition form, original receipt/invoice, and items from Step 7a-7c above after the event.
Steps for ordering food paid for by Foundation/Campus Accounts or Personal Funds: Give Sodexo your Foundation or campus account number or your personal payment information. Do not give them the state account number for billing purposes if the event is not related to state business. This process will alert Sodexo staff that there is no additional documentation required and these food invoices will be returned to the department for processing via the appropriate method. This will also speed up the payment process of state invoices.
Charges for non-UW facilities require off-site approval for events attended primarily by UW Employees Meetings, conferences and training sessions for participation primarily by UW employees (this includes employees from all UW institutions) are subject to the following:
“Meetings in non-UW facilities are not allowable if additional expenses are incurred by the UW which would not have been incurred if the meetings were held in a UW facility. The only exception is when an adequate UW facility is not available. Justification for not using a UW facility where additional expenses are incurred requires approval of the institution controller.”
These types of charges require prior authorization from UWEC controller Jackie Kriesel. Send your written request to email@example.com.
If you have any questions regarding these processes, contact Monica Finley at 715-836-4969, Terri Knudtson at 715-836-2632, or Vickie Gardner at 715-836-4528.