Title: Congregational Church of Apollonia (Rusk County, Wis.) Records
Inclusive Dates: 1893-1978
Creator: Congregational Church of Apollonia (Rusk County, Wis.)
Call Number: Eau Claire Micro 13; Micro 778
Quantity: 1 reel of microfilm (35mm)
Repository: Housed at the Area Research Center, William D. McIntyre Library, University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire; owned by the Wisconsin Historical Society, Library-Archives Division
Archival Locations: UW-Eau Claire McIntyre Library / Eau Claire Area Research Ctr.
Abstract: Records of a church in the no longer existing community of Apollonia, Wisconsin; including minutes, correspondence, baptismal and marriage records, membership records, history of the founding of the congregation, minutes of a council of several area Congregational churches in 1902, and minutes of the ladies' aid society.
The town of Verona Junction was founded in Rusk County, Wisconsin, in 1885. Since it was located at the junction of the Chippewa River and Menomonie and Soo Line railroads, the town prospered and grew. In 1894, in honor of Frederick Weyerhaeuser's daughter, the town was renamed Apollonia. Religious services had been held regularly in Apollonia since 1893 under a succession of pastors, when the Congregational Church Society was established in 1894. The Society was aided in fund-raising activities by the formation of a ladies' aid society. The Apollonia Congregational Church structure was erected on a lot donated by the C. R. & M. Company and dedicated August 11, 1895. The official organization of the church congregation occurred in January 1897. Also, a council of Congregational churches representing the towns of Bruce, Ladysmith, Prentice, Amery, Huron, Bloomer, and Cleveland was convened in Apollonia 14 January 1902. The congregation continued to be active until 1977 at which time the building and property were turned over to the Rusk County Historical Society for preservation as an historical site since the building is one of the last landmarks of Apollonia.
Scope and Content Note
The records document specifically the church congregation and the ladies' aid society. Included are a list of pastors, deacons, and other officers; baptismal and marriage records; lists of members received and removed; a brief early history of the church; minutes of the annual business meetings and of special meetings; minutes of the ladies' aid society meetings; the deed for the land; the original constitution; an insurance policy for the church; and correspondence.
Acquisition Information: Loan for microfilming by the Rusk County Historical Society, September 18, 1979. Accession Number: M79-376
Processing Information: Processed by Gregor Trinkaus-Randall and Max J. Evans, 1979.
Search Terms/Subject Terms
- Congregational Church—Wisconsin—Rusk County
- Church records and registers—Wisconsin—Rusk County
- Church Societies—Wisconsin—Rusk County
- Apollonia (Wis.)—Church history--Sources
|Reel/Item 1/1||Correspondence, 1913-1978|
|Reel/Item 1/2||Church Records, 1893-1977|
|Reel/Item 1/3||Congregations' Minutes of Meetings, 1894-1913|
|Reel/Item 1/4||Ladies' Aid Society|