Title: Eau Claire Rotary Club Records
Inclusive Dates: 1925-1975
Creator: Eau Claire Rotary Club (Eau Claire, Wis.)
Call Number: Eau Claire Mss AH
Quantity: 1.4 c.f. (4 archives boxes)
Repository: Housed at the Area Research Center, William D. McIntyre Library, University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire; owned by the Wisconsin Historical Society, Library-Archives Division
Archival Locations: UW-Eau Claire McIntyre Library / Eau Claire Area Research Ctr.
Abstract: Records of an organization of business and professional men founded to encourage community service, friendship, and mutual assistance; including minutes of directors' meetings, membership lists, financial records, and printed notes on weekly meetings.
Search Terms/Subject Terms
o Civic improvement—Wisconsin—Eau Claire
o Rotary clubs—Wisconsin o Eau Claire (Wis.)
o Eau Claire (Wis.)—Societies, etc.
The Eau Claire Rotary Club, an affiliate of the International Association of Rotary Clubs, held its first meeting May 6, 1925, with 15 charter members. The Association was begun to encourage friendship, fellowship and mutual assistance among its members and later community service was incorporated into the Rotary ideal. Other objectives of Rotary include the promotion of high ethical standards in business and community life, and the advancement of international understanding through a world fellowship of business and professional men. Upholding the ideals of the International Association, the Eau Claire Rotary Club has been active in community service projects and its own social events. In 1975 the 109 members of the Club celebrated its Golden Anniversary.
Scope and Content Note
These records primarily chronicle the technical and administrative, rather than service or community, aspects of the club. The papers are arranged chronologically within five series: Minutes of Board of Directors' Meetings, Lists of Members and Officers, Financial Reports, the “Eau Claire Rotary Messenger” Files, and Miscellany.
The MINUTES OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS' MEETINGS span the years 1925-1950, 1959-1969 and contain information about major club activities. Also given are the names of the directors, general financial summaries and other material dealing with the leadership and direction of the Eau Claire Rotary Club.
LISTS OF MEMBERS AND OFFICERS, 1925-1946, 1966, include the names of officers, directors, committee members and the regular membership. Also listed are members of other area clubs who participated in the Eau Claire Club's Charter Night, July 13, 1925. An incomplete card file of applications for membership, 1928-1939, is also found in this series.
The FINANCIAL RECORDS, 1925-1942, contain a file of the club's financial reports and budgets, 1926-1940, submitted by the secretary to the Board of Directors. Miscellaneous financial records, including invoices and receipts, 1925-1931, are also present. Records of one of the club's service projects, the Student Aid Fund, include financial aid records and minutes of committee meetings, 1936-1942.
A lengthy and quite complete file of the Eau Claire Rotary Messenger, the printed notes on the weekly meetings, 1925-1974 (with a break from July 1940 to November 1941), forms the fourth series. These notes should not be classified as minutes of the meetings, as they are very informal in structure and content.
The file of MISCELLANY contains memorabilia commemorating the Fortieth and Fiftieth Anniversaries of the club. Included are a printed booklet, Forty Years of Rotary (19251965) and a certificate presented by Rotary International in honor of the Club's Golden Anniversary in 1975.
Acquisition Information: Presented by the Club via Jack G. Bullis, Eau Claire, Wis., 1977. Accession Number: M77-424
Processing Information: Processed by Menzi Behrnd, August 8, 1978.
|Minutes of the Board of Directors' Meetings, 1925-1969|
|Lists of Members and Officers, 1925-1946, 1966|
|Financial Records, 1925-1942|
|Financial reports and budgets, 1926-1940|
|Miscellaneous financial records, 1925-1931|
|Student Aid Fund, 1926-1942|
|Eau Claire Rotary Messenger|
|Miscellany, 1965, 1975|