Chair’s Report for March 29, 2005
links to agendas, minutes, Chair's Reports and other sites of interest are
on the Senate web site: https://wwwlocal.uwec.edu/usenate. Senate Chair’s Report will be available on this site by on the day of the Senate meeting.
2. During debates, Senators may speak only twice to any motion or amendment. Each speaking term is limited to 10 minutes. The Chair will add names of those wishing to speak to a speaker's list upon recognition.
1. Faculty Personnel Committee Function
2. Voting in Personnel Actions
Other Items discussed with the Chair
1. A letter from UW-System President Kevin Reilly was received this week. It provided details about the search and screen committee for the next Chancellor at UW-Eau Claire.
The timeline for the process is as follows:
April 8 – nominations for potential search and screen committee members are due in the Senate office
April 15 – electronic ballots created and distributed
April 22 – votes via electronic ballot due
April 26 – results tabulated - Consultation with Chancellor briefly after the University Senate meeting.
All names due from administration, students, and community. Bios collected.
April 29 - full set of names with Bios sent to System. We are to submit twice the number of nominees as positions to be filled. The final breakdown of names being submitted is as follows:
18 - University Faculty composed of
10 - University Faculty from the College of Arts and Sciences
2 - University Faculty from the College of Business
2 - University Faculty from the College of Education and Human Sciences
2 - University Faculty from the College of Nursing and Health Sciences
1 - University Faculty from the Library Faculty
In addition, the Chancellor will add 1 University Faculty member after consultation with the Executive Committee.
4 - University Academic Staff
4 - Administrators (2 from UWEC and 2 from across the System)
4 - from the community
The final committee of 17 members will consist of:
9 University Faculty (one of whom will be chair), 2 University Academic Staff, 2 Administrators (1 from UWEC and 1 from across the system), 2 students, and 2 community members
May 17 – from 1:00 – 3:00 Special Regent Committee chair Peggy Rosenzweig and President Reilly will be here to charge the search and screen committee.
Faculty Reps Meeting – next meeting Friday, April 1 in Madison
Board of Regents Meeting – next meeting April 7 & 8 in Madison
1. Summary of the March 10 & 11 meetings can be accessed at: http://www.wisconsin.edu/news/index.htm
1. According to reports in the March 15 Wheeler Report, Dean Kaufert (R-Neenah) announced he will consider limiting funding for the compensation reserve (the fund from which all state and UW employees are paid) and the UW System. The extent of the limits or possible cuts remains ambiguous.
Bills of interest introduced:
SB121-relating to the appointment of a non-traditional student to the UW Board of Regents; this is the companion bill to AB158.
AB239-relating to the imposition of a two-year limit on increases in undergraduate resident tuition and non-discretionary segregated fees at the UW System.