Skip to main content

Driver Authorization and Vehicle Use

Keep in mind


The purpose of this information is to provide the UW-Eau Claire campus with procedures regarding driving requirements that must be met prior to being authorized to use: a State/University owned, leased, rented or personally owned vehicle on university business.

It is critical to remember that driving any vehicle on university business is not a right but a privilege. Vehicle use entails a wide variety of related issues which affect the liability, property and workers compensation experience of the university.

It is appropriate to drive when the purpose of the trip fits the mission of the university or official university business is carried out as a result of the trip. Anyone driving on state business must be an active officer, employee, currently enrolled student, or specified volunteer or agent. It is required that a valid relationship between the university and the driver be in place prior to being authorized to drive on behalf of the university.

The Enterprise Fleet Management System is not used to rent vehicles. It is, instead, used to electronically store Vehicle Use Agreements (VUA) needed for driving on university business. UW-Eau Claire does not currently have or use fleet vehicles. Please see the UW-Eau Claire travel page for information on vehicle rentals:

By requesting to be an authorized driver, the driver is agreeing to inform their supervisor and the UW-Eau Claire Risk Management and Safety office whenever any negative change in the status of their driving record occurs. Any negative change in the status of one's driving record may result in the revocation of the privilege of driving on university business. The State of Wisconsin Fleet Policies and Procedures are to be reviewed prior to granting authorization.

Please Note:

  • All student and out-of-state driver* authorizations expire yearly on May 31st.
  • Driving in other countries (including Canada): Contact Risk Management and Safety at

 * Out-of-state driver refers to any student, faculty, or staff with an out of state driver’s license.

  • Must have a valid operator's license. (New residents to Wisconsin must obtain a WI driver's license within 60 days of residence; 30 days if the person holds a CDL.)
  • Must have a minimum of two years licensed driving experience (not including instructional experience).
  • Must be eighteen (18) years of age.
  • Three or more moving violations and/or at-fault accidents in the past two years.
  • An Operating While Intoxicated (OWI)/Driving Under the Influence (DUI) citation within 12 months.
  • Expired license.
  • Suspension or revocation of driver's license.
  • Possession of an occupational license only.
  • Less than two years driving experience.
  • License reinstated for less than one year.

Automated email notification of a denial will be made to both the driver and supervisor/faculty member.

1. Go to:

2. Select “UW” for type of employee and then “Logon”.

3. Select “UW Eau Claire” for UW Campus and then “Logon”.

4. Enter your Username and Password  

5. At the top of the screen, select “Reports” and then “Driver Summary”.

6. Enter the name in the search field and select “View Report”. If you have been approved, you will see “Yes” for “Active” and “Approved” for “Status”. If you have not been approved, you will see “No Data Available”.

Renewing VUA’s for your Wisconsin license:

  1. Please email and mention that your previous VUA has expired and that you would like to renew your VUA.


Renewing VUA’s for your out-of-state license:

  1. Complete a new Notarized Form:
    • Please make sure to sign in front of a notary. Notaries can be found at the Service Center in Davies, your local bank or courthouse. Do not pay for this service.
  1. Please scan and save the notarized form and a copy of the front AND Back of your driver’s license.
    • You can either:
      • email the documents to and mention that your previous VUA has expired and that you would like to renew your VUA.
      • Stop by the ASK Center in Schofield 230 M-F 7:45am to 4:30pm. Please make sure to tell the receptionist that these are for a VUA renewal.

Please allow for up to 10 days for processing (usually 1-3 days).

Go to the Risk Management and Safety website for more information:

When driving a personal vehicle on university business:

  • The vehicle owner's personal coverage (insurance) is primary. The vehicle owner should contact their personal insurance company to determine how coverage will be applied for business use of their vehicle. 
  • Drivers require a valid driver's license.
  • Must have an active/approved electronic Vehicle Use Agreement (VUA) on file prior to departure. 
  • Drivers must be in compliance with any restrictions associated with that license when operating their personally owned vehicle on University business.
  • The State liability protection applies on an excess basis only and does not provide coverage for non-university vehicles.
  • Institutions may specify other requirements to use personally owned vehicles on University business and are responsible for communicating these requirements to those affected and the UWEC Risk Management and Safety Office.
  • Coverage (insurance) is restricted to our University Self-Funded Liability Program.
  • Must have an active/approved electronic Vehicle Use Agreement (VUA) on file prior to departure. 
  • Ensure an vehicle accident kit is enclosed in the glove compartment prior to departure. 
  • Non-employee and non-agent passengers are not allowed to ride in vehicles being used on university business due to the additional liability exposure which they pose. 
  • University Owned Vehicle – In the event of an accident call the appropriate police department. Check the glove box for a vehicle accident kit and follow the instructions.

Notify the Risk Management and Safety as soon as possible. Complete the Vehicle Accident/Incident Report Form. Submit the form to Risk Management and Safety located in the ASK Center Schofield 230.

Volunteer drivers are those who are volunteering to drive for university business and who do not have a UWEC username and password.

Please email to obtain the “Volunteer Vehicle Use Agreement Form”.

Examples of appropriate use of a university owned, leased, rented, or personal vehicle are:

  1. Field trips that are for educational purposes and have on-site supervision by a UW-Eau Claire employee.
  2. Education programs that require training to be taken outside of the Eau Claire area and are course-required. (This would not include students who are required to train at some other site all day, i.e. student teaching, internships and coops).
  3. Business errands for a department.
  4. Conferences, meetings, events which are university-related.
  5. Research under the direct supervision of a principal investigator or instructor, (Note #1 below for exceptions.)
  6. Volunteer programs that are under the direct supervision of the university, the program provides substantial benefit to the university, and where an agent agreement has been approved by Risk Management and Safety.
  7. Student organization trips when the purpose fits the mission of the University.

Examples of inappropriate use of a university owned, leased, rented, or personal vehicle are:

  1. Individual research projects or course work primarily for the personal benefit of a student working toward an undergraduate or advanced degree.
  2. Field trips that do not have on-site supervision.
  3. Fraternity or Sorority business trips.
  4. Student organization trips that are not related to the mission of the university.

Agents: Students and volunteers who have been approved by the University to drive on University-sponsored business.

Authorized Driver: University officers, employees, and agents that have a Vehicle Use Agreement application on file and are approved to perform University business as described in section 6.A of this policy.

University Vehicle: A University owned, rented, or leased vehicle.

Contact Us

Risk Management and Safety