Skip to main content

Student Voter FAQs

| Jenna Vande Zande

Election Day is November 6th, and we want everyone to be ready to vote!

If you have any questions about voting, polling places, or registration, feel free to stop by the Research Center, 1st Floor McIntyre Library, between 9am-5pm, Mondays- Thursdays, and 9am-3pm, Fridays. We can help!

Where can I register?

In Wisconsin, everyone can register at the polls on election day.
As per Wisconsin law, online voter registration is not available in 19 days before an election. You can still register to vote in-person at your municipal clerk’s office through the Friday before the election or at your polling place on Election Day.

What is my ward number? Where is my polling place?

During local, state, and national elections, UW-Eau Claire is the voting site for Wards 20 and 24 of the city of Eau Claire: students living in the upper campus residence halls reside in Ward 20, students living in the lower campus residence halls reside in Ward 24.
For students living off campus: look up your voter registration status and polling location by home address at:

What if I don’t have a WI driver’s license? Where can I get an alternate photo ID?

Students can also use other forms of ID like a United States passport or a free Student Voter ID from UW-Eau Claire. Blugold cards do not meet the criteria to function as an acceptable ID because they do not have an expiration date. UW- Eau Claire students who do not have another acceptable photo ID can get an approved Student Voter ID from the Blugold card office on the first floor of the Davies Center.

If you have a MN driver’s license, you will need a Student Voter ID. Go to the Card Office before election day to save yourself time.

What else do I need to bring to the polls?

If you do not have a Wisconsin Driver’s License with your current Eau Claire address on it, you will also need to bring a document that shows your proof of residency. If the address on your Wisconsin Driver’s license does not match your current address, you will also need to bring a document that shows your proof of residency at that address.

This includes documents like:
- A residential lease which is effective for a period that includes Election Day
- A utility bill (anything but garbage/recycling bills)
- A bank statement – printed from the internet is fine (but not a credit card statement)
- A paycheck (but not a personal check)
- The University Voter Verification form on CampS

Where do I get a University Voter Verification Form?

To find the proof of residency/voter verification form, go to BlugoldCampuS and click Student Center from the drop down menu. On the Student Center page at the bottom of the page, there is a link titled “Voter Registration Information”. On the next page, click “Voter Verification Form”. It will create a PDF form (as a pop up, you will need to enable pop ups if you have that blocked), and then print that form.

What do I do if I live at the Priory?

The Priory is located in the town of Washington, so students at the Priory will need to contact their voter registration office: